New to detailing

Detailing & Bodywork
GavinNicholson
New
Drives: 6c gti

New to detailing

Post by GavinNicholson »

Hi im new to the forum and new to detailing im ok at washing a car ect but never actually done a full detail on a car so have a few questons. Who is the best company to buy from? What order do you wash your car? What sort of equipment do i need to start my "detailing kit" so to speak any help or advice would be really good thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: New to detailing

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome

I’d suggest signing up to detailing world and having a scour through

Elite car care and clean your car.co.uk do some excellent products
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

GavinNicholson wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:00 am Hi im new to the forum and new to detailing im ok at washing a car ect but never actually done a full detail on a car so have a few questons. Who is the best company to buy from? What order do you wash your car? What sort of equipment do i need to start my "detailing kit" so to speak any help or advice would be really good thanks
Well, Id' start with investing in proper gear and start small.
One of my best investments is a high pressure washer with a foam bottle and good foam.
So get two or three buckets with one grit guard. One to wash, one to clean the mitt and one for the rims.
Get a good wash mitt (glove).
Get a good shampoo that suits your needs. I'm a big fan myself of Dodo Juice so most of my gear comes from them.
Next, get something to protect your laquer. A coating or a wax would be good, if you don't polish, use a filler.

My list is:
- Three buckets with 1 grit guard
- Dodo Juice Supernatural mitt
- Dodo Juice iFoam
- Dodo Juice Born to be Mild shampoo (in case of no wax) or Sour power (shampoo to maintain wax)
- Kärcher K2 with foam bottle
- Poorboys World Black hole as a filler (but I do polish so don't always use it)
- Dodo Juice wax. I'm using 'Black Widow' on a black car but there are many options.
- Some applicator pads for wax and filler
- MicroFiber Madness microfiber cloth to buff wax and clean stuff
- Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller to remove iron particles from the wax

You can extend this by looking into polishing the paintwork.
You'll need a good clay and clay lube, a polisher (rotary or excentric), polishing pads and paste, a bunch of towels.
Futhermore, tools like an inspection lamp and all that kind of stuff are good to have.

And a good detailing spray/quick detailer to quickly correct bird droppings and whatever is always good to have.

You can extend this even further in
- Window coatings to repel rain and fogging
- Insect remover
- Water spot remover
- Dressing for rubber
- Engine cleaner
- Tar remover
- Tire dressing
- Rim coating
- Chrome polish

You can spend a small fortune on detailing if you like.
And this is only the exterior...

But as a starter, I'd recommend
- Foaming
- Washing (2 bucket method)
- Waxing

Better do a small collection than go big and go cheap.

If you're not satisfied after that, look into polishing but take good care of your bank account.
GavinNicholson
New
Drives: 6c gti

Post by GavinNicholson »

Thanks for the info youse have boty been really healpfull ill do some reserch on the wesites and brands memtons ill take your advise start small with good stuff and build from there
I think that seems the best way