desisions decisions

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

desisions decisions

Post by polo2k »

as some of you may have seen last night i had to fit a new alarm but this new alarm has 2 auxaullary out puts for things such as the lights or stereo which i can turn on when ever im within a mile of my car. i have already decidedm that im going to use one of them for my headlights, so i can show off my hids, but i havnt yt decided what to use the other for. i can choose wheather i want the item to thrn on for 30 seconds or to stay on indefinatly until i turn it off with the reote. starting the engine isnt really an option and there is already an auxaulliry output for a boot solenoid, so what i need is somthing else i can turn on. like i mentioned it can be anything that needs a +12v feed (ps the interior light already comes on when i unlock the car) so please make a suggestion
dxg

Post by dxg »

this is possibly rather lame, and could look rather tacky if not done right, but what about:

- obtain the mechanicals from a corrado

(you know where this is going already, don't you)

- attach to a roof spoiler (maybe a cut-down corrado one itself)

- voila - roof spolier rises to attention to greet you.

I kinda suspect this could look really tacky, though. But, maybe, just maybe, it might pan out. It would all depend on the spolier., and the ability to hinge it. Accommodation of the motor, gearbox, etc. would be pretty straight forward, so long as you don't mind cutting into your roof somewhere close to the tailgate hinges (i.e. stress-points??) and making a small enclosure for the motor and other gubbins which would hang down from the roof lining. Unless you use a sunroof motor to wind from the bottom - i.e. a flexible shaft runs up the c pillar with a worm gear that drives a thread on the bottom of the spoolier somehow.

Or -- the ghetto solution (as if this whole scheme wasn't ghetto enough) and old wire electric aerial - strip the telescopic metal aerial, but leave the inner wire - replace the metal aerial with a tube plastic which the wire now runs inside - the tube holds it to the profile of the c-piller - then the end of the wire is attached to the - bottom of the spolier (on the inside, of course). This would be mechanically simplier. It would be a cleaner install too, as you could hide the motor and gearbox down behind a rear cluster.

(I could draw diagrams, if you like...

Deek. (A certified thinker, but not a do-er).
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

the problem with the corrado spoiler is that as you said when fitted to a harchback the moter blocks most of the back window. also i suspect that it would limit the opening i.e. the spoiler would hit the roof but wicked idea
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

How about popping open the bonnet with the remote? Saves the time it takes to open the door and pull the mechanical lever. Should be pretty secure though, imagine the bonnet opening whilst driving...

Just a thought.
dxg

Post by dxg »

I've never seen one off a car, so don't have a clue about the size/shape gubbins - but I guess it's have to be pretty substaintial as it is supposed to be generating downforce, after all :wink:

What about the automatic aerial (would work but wouldn't be string (i.e. don't use at speed!!)) or the sunroof motor options - this would get the mechanicals down below the window level. You'd just have to be pretty creative on the mounting of the spoiler, but it would let you use something other than the corrado one - i.e. something designed for the polo.

I can't remember if the corrado raised vertically, or it remained hinged at some point and rotated on an axis. What I'm envisaging is the rotate-on-an-axis option. Don't see how you could separate the gubbins from the spolier with a vertical lift.

Of course, you could mount it upside down instead of a front splitter!!

Of, then, there's always the neon option :roll:

Or - more realistically - puddle lights in the wing mirrors??
dxg

Post by dxg »

Speedlaw's idea's good.

What about modfiying it slightly, and have a solenoid that pops the driver's door open for you when you click your remote just as you walk up. You could even use a standard boot lock kit, I guess.

This might be too subtle - the one mile distance wouldn't be applicable, unless you trust the French more than I do!

Deek.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Strobes? Or does that sit in the "neon" category?
dxg

Post by dxg »

Do you still have you rear seats - this would only work if you've stripped them out, have installed a cage and have the fire extinguide, ice and spare wheel mounted on display (I've seen this a fair bit on Euro Lupos)

Yeah, I don't think you have, but are we allowed to dream here?

If you had - what about a motorised (fabric?) cover that covers your ICE, spare wheel, bottom part of the cage when parked up, but which draws back and retracts into the boot floor somewhere in the region of the original spare wheel well. Just before you arrive and drive off!
Petrified
Sponsor

Post by Petrified »

Any way of connecting something to the handbrake? So If you were at the bottom of a hill, you could remotely take off the handbrake and bring the car to you!

Of course there are the steering lock problems, but think of the fun you could have! not to mention the time/energy savings...

:D

James.