Help! My GT is dying!

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
Louise
New

Help! My GT is dying!

Post by Louise »

Hi, my 1992 GT has a new electrical fault. When it is idling, it suddenly looses revs and dies. If i catch it in time and put my foot down, it backfires, but still runs.
Getting a bit dangerous as i sometimes have to accelerate whilst braking in traffic! :shock:
Any ideas?
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

Could that be the idle control valve, or someone is blocked and needs replacing? :?

Did read somewhere though, it could be related to the clutch, injectors, or intake. Maybe best bet is to get it to a garage you trust.

Oh and notice it's your first post, so welcome!
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

'Ello Louise,

*Welcome*

Like Scorpio1 said, it could really be a number of things.

Something else that came to mind is a dirty (clogged) throttle body. But in all fairness, it's hard to tell without having the car at a garage...

(sorry) :oops:
Louise
New

Post by Louise »

Cheers!
Unfortunately the problem occured after the car was returned from a garage when they fixed the faulty valves - and they couldn't find the problem. I'll ask them about all your ideas and nag a bit more.
Thanks again!
Lou
tigor
Bronze Member
Drives: 2012 9R

Post by tigor »

polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

try unplugging the mass air flow sensor and see if it drives the same. if so then the sensor is dead
hardhitter

Post by hardhitter »

Hi Louise

I have a GT too, and have had similar problems in the past.
There can be a few things that cause what you describe.

The auxiliary air valve (idle valve) can cause the idle to stay high or drop if it's sticking. Either cleaning it out with carb cleaner or fitting a new one can fix this.

A faulty blue temp sensor can cause poor running problems and hesitating.

If the throttle body is dirty and clogged up (not un heard of) it wont run very well either.

If it's none of them, then it could be something like the hall sender at fault. But its hard to tell without seeing the car