Calling anyone with 6n 16v with factory fitted front fogs

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
delipolo16v
New

Post by delipolo16v »

Can someone kindly (if possible) take some pictures of the cable routing of the front fog lights especially the plastic ducting on the battery side?
It's been driving me mad when finished i hope to do a how-to so if pics are good enough i can put them on the how-to. tnx. :wink:
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Hey Delipolo,

I've just tried to get some shots of the cables, but I can't get any decent images at all. It's all too dark, or simply invisible from the top.

Perhaps we can help you in some other way? What exactly is driving you mad?
delipolo16v
New

Post by delipolo16v »

I got all the parts from various sources even down to the rubber grommets for the cables all oem but i wanna do a good job (as near to a factory install as possible) but i need to find the correct route for the cables from the headlight loom multiplug to the fogs,I got one part that is driving me mad it's called a cable holder part no.6NO 971 848 F i can see on etka where it should go but i can't seem to get it to fit I also don't know if the earths go into the multiplug or earth on the chassis.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

:shock:

I... don't know?

Tough one.

Anyone with experience out there?
Col
Bronze Member

Post by Col »

Not having fogs I can't really help u, but I'd expect they earth to the multiplug as the fogs are in the plasticfront panel, that holds the radiator, so wouldn't be able to earth to the chassis without a lenght of cable??? Only a suggestion :?
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

in this case they prolly go into the multi plug as long as there are 2 pins
the cable routing, hmm dificult to say, what id do is route it where it seems sensible and then if theres any cable thats not secure see if it will go past any possible clipping points. failing that wrap the new loom to the original loom with electrical tape as its the least obnixious solution
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Yes, and Tie Wraps are Godsent as well.

:wink:
delipolo16v
New

Post by delipolo16v »

I bought the conduit for the cables and all the clips,there seems to be a lot of earth points near the fogs i could use but i'm gonna try 2 find the earths in the multiplugs.
Anyone know if there is a relay for the front fogs? the wires are already there from the switch to the headlight loom multiplug and i'm getting 12v on the correct cable i suspect the relay for the rear fog also does front.
A little hint for anyone thinking of doing this to there car don't buy a new switch! I got a switch from a sharan from the scrap yard, you can take out 2 little plastic bits from that and swap them for the bits in your light switch and bingo you have the correct switch (pulls out 2 clicks) better than paying a dealer £50 quid.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Hey, that's a good tip on the light switch!

Don't know about the relay though. Does ETKA say anything useful?
delipolo16v
New

Post by delipolo16v »

No, etka shows how it should look but i can't get it the same way on the car,when i get this fog fitting finished i'll do a how to for the switch.
delipolo16v
New

Post by delipolo16v »

Forgot to say, i have got etka, etos and elsawin and they mention a relay but that's it. I really think the rear fog relay does the front too as i have 12v at the headlight multiplug in the right place for front fogs (no warning light on the dash though), btw anyone got heated washer jets on their car? 16v came with heated jets and fogs as a package.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Me!

It's one of those things that I found out after about a year after I bought it; it has heated washer jets. Yes siree.

But the real question is...

--> I'll Pm you ;)
delipolo16v
New

Post by delipolo16v »

Got any idea where the heated jets wiring goes into the bulkhead? any danger of a pic of the wiring run? and a pic of your light switch? also do you get a warning light on the dash when you have front fogs only on?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

There's no warning light for having the front fogs on without the main beam. I do however think they simply won't work without the dipped or main beam on. I'm having lunch now, I'll be back in a short while with those pics ;)
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Right then.

First the pic of the light switch (LHD), it's an old pic but it does show the thing.

Then the jets,

The underside of a jet:

Where they run underneath the bonnet:

Where they go down:

Where I *think* they go through the bulk head:

I just had a scary thought; I hope I'm right in thinking these are the heated kind!!

Oh well, hope this helps.

:D