hands free

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
gilmore
Getting There!

hands free

Post by gilmore »

just bought myself a hands-free kit for me motor - hundred quid from halfords - fitted jobbie and have to say it is not a bad bit of kit - comes through car speakers, cuts out cd player, sounds top!! spoke to bloke who was fitting it and we sorted a way to minimise mess - only one wire coming from phone into a socket fitted in the storage space below the radio.

v impressed... thought i'd share it with you guys

:D :D
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Cool.

Fitted mine a long time ago, and I've never regretted it - perhaps not a 'must have', but I love it.
robbiehall
Getting There!

Post by robbiehall »

I'd love to know how others have fitted theirs, specially as I have fitted a cd player in the dash (I assume that is the storage space you mean).

After all we have until Dec 1st to sort this.....

Cheers
Rob
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

I've just fitted a cradle for mine but nothing via the stereo as I am using a hands-free kit still (the one from your ear to the phone). So what is the story about the law in December? Will I no longer be able to use the current set up?
aussiepolo
New

Downunder...

Post by aussiepolo »

Down here using your phone while driving has been illegal for more than a year now (still you see a lot of people doing it anyway), unless you have a headset (wired or wireless) or a full in car kit installed. Get caught and you'll have to pay 100$ AU (about 40 pounds) and a point added to your licence (12 points max).

I got myself a universal kit from a company called ABC Imex

The kit doesn't look that good, but it only cost me about 45 pounds. I took it apart and added/removed bits to my liking and the friendly people at VW dealer hardwired the power cable for me (got my ciggie lighter back) and hid the microphone cable inside the plastic of the center console.

Sounds, OK, still using the speaker built into the unit, and does all I want it to do. People can hear me and i can hear them... and it's legal.

I've put some pictures of my polo on the web, there's some of the modified kit up as well:

AussiePolo

Chris
Geezer
Bronze Member

Post by Geezer »

has anyone with a mk4 polo got any pics of their set up?
not sure how to fit one in mine
i also got a prob as my phone is a motorola v60
robbiehall
Getting There!

Post by robbiehall »

I'm thinking of going for a bluetooth earpiece, and the phone can be set to answer via that after 4 rings so no hands used.

Hopefully I shall be able to pick up a call and tell the caller I will stop somewhere and call them back without attracting pc plod.

Cheers
Rob
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Technically the BT headsets should be ok as you dont need to touch the phone to operate them.....