Should I have used Relay ???

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
The FASTEST
Getting There!

Should I have used Relay ???

Post by The FASTEST »

Guys about 3 years ago i had my car fitted original Fog lambs...mine is 6n'98 1.6.... But the service did not use relay.... this has been in my head for 3 years...

97 and 98 ' are different...97 has place in its ????? box. Guys i am sorry i cant remember the name of box...there are some small plastic things with saying 15 amp , 25 amp and these numbers change by the color...i think i you understand me...As i said before 97 models has place for this relay but mine dont...So what should i do..??

thanks alot in advance....
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I think the word you're looking for is "fuse" - ie. Fuse Box.

Sorry, can't help you more than that.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

The 1998 model received all new electronics. So, if the installer didn't use a relay, and there's no place for it either, AND it still works without burning up wires I think you'll be fine.

Not a very educated answer I'm afraid, but it's the best I could come up with...
The FASTEST
Getting There!

Post by The FASTEST »

yes..it is fuse...

....when i use it , there is some heat on the light switch but it is normal i think because when i turn on my head lights, same heat is on the switch that's why i think it is normal...

thank you guys..have nice day..........
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

just plugged mine into the appropriate wire coming off the ECU (?) loom and they worked fine

now i just gotta work on making them function with the sidelights as well as dips, as fogs plus dips in actual fog is bloody useless!!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

yeah you should have a relay as the problem isnt only the constant load on the switch but when you turn the fogs on the arc created on the contacts in the switch will cause premeture failure
The FASTEST
Getting There!

Post by The FASTEST »

where should i put the relay ? Because there is no space in fuse box for any relay...1997 models have, but mine dont :?:
Glen C
New

Post by Glen C »

Late reply i know but the decisive answer to the question is:

What is the switch rated at in amps? 2, 5 ,10 ?????
What bulbs are in the fogs?

E.g
2x 55watt bulbs running on 12V draws 9.16 amps.

55 watts x 2 bulbs = 110 watts / 12volts = 9.16 amps.

If the switch is rated less than this then it will work but fail prematurley like previously suggested.

Fuse should be roughly double the constant currant draw so in this case no less than 15 amp and no more than 20.