Help on fitting my front fogs....

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
mole
Admin

Help on fitting my front fogs....

Post by mole »

Sourced some VW front fogs at a good price (well, better than stealer prices) and also a new switch (how can the stealers charge £57+VAT for this!!!).

Now.... As there is no wiring already in place as far as I know, my original plan was this:

1. Find out what pins on the switch connect when the front fogs are switched on on the switch.
2. Wire up the fogs using this as the switch for the relay.

Now, I had a thought earlier that the fog light light (lol) on the dash won't like up using this method.

So..... Does anyone know how the lights on the dash light up? Is there a wire for each one that once connected to +12 makes it illuminate, and if so, would the wire for front fogs be there?

Anyone done this sorta thing before?

It's not a major problem, but would make it a "better job" if you ask me.

Final note: We need an electrical section, we have everything else!!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

i imagine that one of 2 things will be true here and the first is the least likely
there is 2 wires that become live when the fogs are on, 1 for the actual lights and one for the warning light
or
the wire that feeds the fogs also does the warning light
if you are getting a new switch then fit it with no fors in place now and use it as normal and then turn it to side lights and pull once (the same position as rear fog used to be) if the warning comes on then your buzzing otherwise it becomes a little more involved and you will have to find out which wire should feed the warning light and whether there is a bulb in there. on a side note i used to have a golf III and the warning light is intergrated into the switch but its in such a position that when i drove in a confortable position the rim of the steering wheel blocked it lol.

and to get the power to the relay i would imagine that there is already the wireing in place* and the wireing goes into the standard relay position but there is simply a jumper in place to connect between the switched wire and the fog light wire with the earth and the +12V left out. so if this is true then remove the jumper and fit the correct (stock) relay and find the wire under the bonnet. the wire might be the same color as comes out of the switch for the fogs in which case its easy. if its not like this then you will have to go under the bonnet and find out which wire becomes live when the fogs are on**

*it costs an increadible ammount to design and produce one loom because there is all the working out what is needed and then all the max loads and then the lengths of the wire and then the routing and then and then and then NO AND THEN! :P so normally there is one loom made that will fit every car but may require adapters of some kind on certain models, i.e. jumpers across relays

** you could go under the bonnet and test a wire then go into the car and turn the fogs on and test the next but its easier if you look for connecters with less wires on one side than the other i.e. 4 wires into one side and then 3 out of the other side i suggest finding every wire that is a suspect and then marking it with some masking tape, then get an assistant to turn them on and off as you test every suspect wire. please for the sake of your sanity do this with the ignition on first time!
if you can ask another mk6 owner to turn their fogs on and then disconect every connector one at a time and tell you when they went out which will prolly help a lot
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Thanks mate.

I'm hoping the wiring is there for the warning light and as you said, I'll be buzzin!

If not, I was going to do all the rest anyway, bit involved, but it will make the fogs look like they are a factory fit, thats why I bought the new switch. I would have thought the wiring would be there for everything, why bother making one loom with fog wiring and one without, makes their life more difficult, as well as ours!

I'll sort it!

Cheers
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Won't be able to find out for sure until I get the new switch is here but.....

Not every pin is there in the plug for the switch, which I think means the wiring isn't there.

If the wire that goes to the speedo isn't there (or I can't find it), I could either use the rear fog warning light, or none at all..... What do u think?

mole
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

personally i recon that ity will be there
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

We'll have to wait and see!
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

Pull out your haynes manual :) useless for some things, but it does have a pretty handy wiring diagram in... s'how i hooked mine up. Just need to go back and refer to it again - first time round, i wired it so they'd only come on with the dips, as per instructions (silly, silly boy!), which is totally useless in actual fog... most of the wires come out of the mess near to the ECU so you might not have to bother wiggling them thru to the cabin.

dunno what the bumpers are like on newer ones like yours mole, but your biggest trouble may be getting the bloody things to fit snugly whilst still being able to do up the bolts!
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Haynes manual..... no such thing for the 9n!!

Anyway, done this along time ago now - the warning light isn't wired up - but the switch itself lights up.