how to wire stuff up

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

how to wire stuff up

Post by polo2k »

many times when working on your car you will encounter a problem and most of these are related to the electrical system
in this post i will explain a few things on how to wire up your little bits nd bobs;
if you have an item such as some extra interior lighting to add then you can simply add it onto the existing lighting system(as long as it dosent exceed the rating of the fuse to control the said system). for a light it couldnt be easier.
if you wish to keep your existing light then you can simply add to it by soldering extra wires to the bulb connections and run your wire to your new apliance.
if you wish to remove the existing light (eg boot install with neons) then you can simply cut off the existing fitting and fit your appliance to the ends of the wires exersising proper caution when insulating the wires.

if you want an item to be on then the ignition off then there is a way to do it without complicated relay wireing.* the way to do it is to take a 12V switched feed from a system controled by the ignition and then another feed from a permanant live then you have a 12v difference when the switched feed is off and 0v difference when the ign is on. it is the diference in voltage that is important here because if your apliance needs 12v then you have your 12v diference which will light (for example) when there is a 12v diference
example cos its complicated: :P
i wanted those ritchbrook flaching led diir pins which require a 12v feed to operate so i found a switched live (rear wiper feed) and a permanant live in the door then i ran a wire from the rear wiper feed through the door connection and then to the negative wire on the led door pin and then hooked the 12v permanant to the +ve on the door pin so that when the rear wiper is operable there is 12v to both wires and this means 0v diference thus they dont light. when the ignition is off then the 12v flows from 12v permanant thru the led and back to the wiper system to complete the system and hence light it. this is how the interior light works on the 6n2

*for relay wireing please see other posts as id like to keep this one simple and short "yeah right!"
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Another great guide... Thanks Ash