Disconnecting seats airbag

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
J-O
Bronze Member

Disconnecting seats airbag

Post by J-O »

Hi all,

I'll probably change my stupid and ridiculous fronts seats to have some nice leather Recaro (Color Concept).
The original seats have airbags and I know that if I disconnect them to put the Recaro all the airbags (so the remainning 2 frontal ones) will also be disconnected and the Warning light will be ON on the dash board...so do you know a way to disconnect the two sides airbags and still have the two frontals working properly?

thanx alot!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

dis connect battery
wait half an hour
unplug the seat airbag
remove seat
shout out the plug with a 220 owm resistor and it sould work if not test the airbag with a multimeter and then the reading you get will bein ohms so try shorting the connecter with the closest value resistor you can find and btw you cant just remove the bulb as the car will not pass its yearly instection (MOT/ control technique) with out the airbag lamp coming on showing the diagnostic self test when the ign is switched on
J-O
Bronze Member

Post by J-O »

ok thanx...my VW dealer also told me about the resistor...

well I think for the Official inspection i'll put the original seats but for every day driving I'll prefer the leather ones...since I can have them almost for free 8)
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

you can leave the seats in for the inspection normally as long as they are securely fitted and not obstructive
as long as the airbag can do its diagnostics (light on at start and then extinguish) then you should pass
tim
Getting There!

Post by tim »

I'm thinking about removing the front seats (which have airbags) from my 9n to run RCA's and Power cable under the carpet, if i take them out and disconnect the airbag, will the light on the dash go out again after i reconnect them??? Tim
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Tim,

YES. The 'check airbag' light will come on, IIRC.

:)

Make sure you disconnect the battery (both sides) and leave it for a while before you unplug the connector. Also, double check with VW to make sure that disconnecting the battery is enough! It's explosive stuff, afterall.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
tim
Getting There!

Post by tim »

Thanks! will do that.
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

My dealer's advice was "just unplug it, nothing will happen", so I did and nothing happened.

It depends on how much you wanna chance it really.
J-O
Bronze Member

Post by J-O »

polo2k wrote:shout out the plug with a 220 owm resistor
are you sure of this value?

I've got new Recaro speed to fit soon 8)