MK2 ignition cable

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

MK2 ignition cable

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Does anyone know where I can access the 12v ignition cable (grey / blue stripe) in a mk2 polo without removing the dashboard?

I fitted a new dashboard last week which had the radio wiring running straight to the battery without being switched with the ignition, which seems to be taking 0.5 amps even when it's switched off - woke up to a flat battery this morning because of it :evil: and I seriously don't want to have to remove the dashboard again to rewire it, it's such a hassle..

It does strike me as rather odd that the radio should draw so much even when it's switched off.. but I guess that's another matter entirely.
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

yeah you can get to it in the main loom where it goes through the bulkhead behind the glovebox, the only touble is finding the right wire though
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Ah, excellent.. I'll take a look tomorrow when I have some light to do it by :)

Cheers for that.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Well, I spent half an hour hanging upside down in a position I never thought possible poking the wiring loom behind the glovebox with a multimeter, then actually thought about what I was doing and realised that all of the switches on the dashboard are wired to the ignition and very nice and easy to access.. so my radio is now wired into my rear screen heater 8)