cooling fans not running

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
ninjaman
New
Drives: mk 4 i think

cooling fans not running

Post by ninjaman »

hello,

im new here and inquiring for my dad. he has a 1.2 12v polo from 02. hatchback. the fans don't come on, I got under the car and applied 12v to the fans direct and they both work. my dad went for a drive and said that the temperature doesn't increase above its normal level. I think it may be the control unit but not sure. I don't know what else to check. are there relays for cooling fans. we had a look where the relays plug in (I think right side under steering wheel) I couldn't tell what was what. the electrical diagram doesn't show a relay, not one I can see anyway. im not sure what to do, I want to avoid going to the garage as my dad cant afford that sort of thing.

any help would be great!

thanks

simon
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: cooling fans not running

Post by alexperkins »

The fans are controlled by a fan controller - if you follow the wires youll see it

Theres a fuse on top of the battery for the fans also

Have you got aircon?
ninjaman
New

Post by ninjaman »

there is air con in the car yes, I think there is a cooling fan switch as well but im not too sure where it is. there is no picture in the Haynes manual only a mention in the electrical diagram.
ninjaman
New

Post by ninjaman »

hello,

is it possible to test the switch and the fan control unit?

If I manage to find the switch and fan control unit, can I test them in some way. I don't think there is a relay in this circuit. I cant find one in the diagram. there is a switch and control unit. from the pictures that I have seen on ebay, the control unit has a few pins connected to it. I was thinking about just replacing it and seeing if that did anything. the part is £13 which isn't a lot compared to a possible blown head gasket.

any help/advice would be great!!!
thanks

simon
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Does the small fan run at low speed when the air con is on?

What are the actual symptoms you are experiencing?