Airbag light, code 00532?

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
adgecutler
New
Drives: Mark 4, I think

Airbag light, code 00532?

Post by adgecutler »

Driving in torrential rain on Christmas eve our little 57 plate Polo (MKIV, I think?) decided to break down on a very tight bottleneck with a bind corner just behind us. I sat there thinking it would be moisture on the electronic rubbish they now put under bonnets, immediately before it died the oil pressure light came on. After trying after 15-20 minute intervals for a couple of hours the battery began to weaken so I called to be retrieved. The car was then left for over 48 hours but still wouldn't start when I returned, I then tried the capacitance discharge trick which didn't help either. After taking most of the sensor plugs off and giving them a wipe and then another capacitance discharge I tried again, success. However, I was then left with two dash lights, the exhaust fault one (I guess this was due to flooding after my repeated attempts at starting?) and also the airbag light. I have borrowed a cheap plug in "thingy" which has brought up amongst other codes 00532 within the SRS catagory, I beleive this is what is causing my problem. I have tried to delete it am told by the "thingy" that the "erase successful", however when scanned again it is back and the light doesn't go out.
Any ideas as to where I should look next will be gratefully received.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Airbag light, code 00532?

Post by alexperkins »

Is it a 1.2? that sounds like the timing chain may have slipped a tooth. This is very common symptoms on these cars now. Getting even more common as time is going on

You'll need a proper vcds scan done to clear those fault lights. Airbag faults normally have to be cleared with a proper reader
adgecutler
New

Post by adgecutler »

Thanks for the reply but I'm doubtful that the timing is out as the engine sounds fine, no difference in intake or outlet sound.
adgecutler
New

Post by adgecutler »

It is a 1.2 litre though.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Normally this is the case. Youll have difficulty starting, but it doesnt necessarily sound any different. The oil pressure light coming on before it broke down also points to this.
adgecutler
New

Post by adgecutler »

Well just a quick report to say all is well now, I bought a gent a drink and he deleted the airbag code, the car has been fine for several weeks now. You do need to use one of the more expensive computer thingies it seems, another scheme to get you to spend more money at the dealers along with all the ridiculous electronics that caused our woes in the first place.