Car radio advice.

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
silentsmoke13
New
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Car radio advice.

Post by silentsmoke13 »

Hi all. I am new to this forum and glad to find like minded people. I recently bought a VW Polo Blue GT and I want to replace the standard radio unit. I have narrowed it down to two:

Pioneer SPH-DA120 Car Stereo with Apple CarPlay

or

Kenwood DMX-7017DABS CarPlay & Android Auto car stereo

I am liking the Pioneer more as it no buttons and looks neat. I am not a fan of the TPK Music device, so that will be removed. I would like to know if either of these units support the factory default rear parking sensors? I did pop in to Halfords in Hendon to speak to someone about this and he said that I can be done but the cable would be costly. I really do not mind as I was going to have the Kenwood DNX525 DAB Multimedia System installed, but after reading loads of negative reviews, that put me off (and saved some money!).

I have done some digging around about this and looks it is possible.

I would do the installation myself as I did my first car many years ago, but I do not intend to in this case though.

What are your thoughts regarding the above.

Thanks all.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Car radio advice.

Post by alexperkins »

The DA120 is a superb head unit. I have one in my TT and it really is excellent.

There are very head units out there with CAN support. Pioneer only support this in the higher models (Like the F88 DAB for example)

It might be worth looking at the new DA230, but im not sure that has it either.

if you specifically want on screen parking sensors, the answer is an RNS510, but youll need to add bluetooth seperately

The parking sensors will still work and beep on a DA120, just no on screen display. You could add a rear view camera though if you fancied.
silentsmoke13
New

Post by silentsmoke13 »

Cheers for the information. I am looking at the DA-120 manual and there are two options for my iPhone, when it comes to cable setup.

1. HDMI with lightning cable

Or

2.just the Lightning cable.

What are the differences for the same iPhone??

It is something I have noticed in the manual. I would like some clarification before this unit is installed.

Thanks once again!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

You would just use the lightning cable. You can then use full car play which I must say is fantastic. Full sat nav, Apple Music, messages, phone book and calling. It’s hard to beat

HDMI is more for just video out and android phones. Lightning alone all day long.
silentsmoke13
New

Post by silentsmoke13 »

Thanks for the advice. Very happy with it!

Thanks once again!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Glad I could help 👍🏻 Keep an eye out on the pioneer website for the upcoming ios11 software update that’s coming