Has anyone wired up a Nokia Cark91 car kit before?

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Has anyone wired up a Nokia Cark91 car kit before?

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi all

I've just bought a Nokia Cark91 in car kit (the whole lot!) and I'm going to try and fit it this weekend...

Has anyone ever fitted one before?

If so, do you have any tips?
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Assemble the kit before you start pulling your dash to bits, ths will make sure you've got enough cable to do the job - next, decide where you want everthing to go - the most important thing is TAKE YOUR TIME
i presume you mean the fully fitted one with the full cradle assembly? If is the Nokia 6310 fitment kit, please bear in mind that after Nokia have discontinued this model, there will be no other phone to fit this kit. EVER. :(

I would suggest taking the kit back and investing in a Bluetooth kit. that way when you change your phone, you've got more options.

A Bluetooth Carkit will cost you £259.99 fully fitted with 3 years warranty. contact 0500 178178 to order.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Karl

Thanks for the info...

I knew about the 6310i being the last phone to use this kit, but it was only £30 off a bloke at work (who bought it, but never got round to fitting it)

I was going to go for the Bluetooth kit, but for that money I couldn't pass it up!

Anyway, I've bought a dashmount kit for it so I don't have to drill my dash, and I've bought a nice compact glass-mount antenna to go with it.

Only problem is getting the sound to my front speakers... They do a wiring loom that mutes the stereo and wires into the speakers, however my front speakers are amped, so this might be a problem (either I use the supplied speaker, or I buy the wiring kit and use the rear (disconnected at the moment) standard speakers)???

Anyway, if it all comes tomorrow, I'll be fitting it this weekend
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

I've got the same kit, took me ages to get it done. But I'm slow.

The antenna is a regular inside on glass item, but it sits on the inside of the front bumper. Works great.

The mic is inside the W8 light. Add one hour.

I used the extra speaker that comes with the kit, way easier.

The mute works, just mate it with the radio. If it's a DIN spec, you can easily mate it to the kit, check your radio's manual.

The kit is always on, since my car doesn't have a acc position on the ignition.

Hope that helps!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Nice one speedy!

Ok, well I'm planning on putting the mic inside the W8 Light... Did you have to break apart the mic casing to fit this in?

Where did you get the power from (I don't have an ACC position either :oops: )

Also, where have you put the speaker?

And, where did you put the brain unit?

Questions, questions, questions!
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Right then, I editted this now I have some more time:

The kit's speaker is mounted near the passenger's feet, aimed towards me. This gives good audibility and saved me from messing with my Boston Accoustics. They weren't built to be used for voice audibility anyway.

The supplied mic won't fit, as it's too big. I used one I had lying around from a different kit, one of those cheap plug in type kits. Breaking the supplied mic case open might work, but you'll need to figure out how to hold the mic element in place. The one I had lying around fitted perfectly in the W8 clamps.

I got the power directly from the battery, using the fused line provided. i hooked up the ground near the fusebox, no problems there.

The brain is hidden under the centre console, in the bit behind the gearknob towards the rear passengers. Could be different with the Mk5, there may or may not be any room there.

Better!