Recenter Slip ring / Clock ring

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Polobear6r
New
Drives: Polo

Recenter Slip ring / Clock ring

Post by Polobear6r »

I’m not sure how its called in English but I read somewhere that people call it slip ring or clock spring.

I like to know if there is a way to re-center the slip ring.
I bought a second hand cruise control stalk with a slip ring but the ring was not taped stuck. So I don’t know what the center is.

I found 2 methods online and would like to know if this is a good option to know the center again.
https://www.youcanic.com/article/clock-spring
Step 6:
The last step is to install the clock spring. Make sure the wheels are pointed straight forward before you remove the old clock spring.
- Find the center position of the clock spring. You can do this by turning the clock spring all the way to the left and stop as soon as you feel slight resistance.
- Then turn it all the way to the right and count the total turns.
- Let's say you get 6 full turns. Now dive the number of turns by two.
- Spin the clock spring three turns back and you should be in the center.
And another solution:
https://bellinghamautoacservice.com/fau ... -in-a-car/
To install:
• Set the front wheels straight ahead.
• Turn the clock spring clockwise until it stops.
• Turn the clock spring counterclockwise 2.75 turns.
• Align the mark on the clock spring with the mark on the outer housing.
Are there methods the right way for finding the center again? And or does anyone here have some tips.
Is there a way to check in VCDS or something, like when my wheels are straight and u plug in VCDS and connect the slip ring to the connector that i can check somewhere in what position the ring is so i can find out the center that way?

(I hope I posted this in the right section, sorry if not.)

I do have the old slip ring on my old stalks but im not sure if they are compatible with the new cruisecontrol stalks. Im not sure if i should use the one that come with the new stalks or my own slipring.