Neon Inside

Discuss In Car Electronics / Electrical Systems - use with caution!
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Neon Inside

Post by sylonien »

Hi guys.

I was thinking of installing some neon's or LEDs or whatever inside the car.

Question is, where do I get my 12V power supply? And I've this and that about "relays", etc.... what is that all about? I want it to light up when I have the headlights on like all the other interior (standard) lights.

Ya mean?! Thanks. :)
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

anyone?
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

there is a way of wiring a 12v supply up but ill give u a way that my mate used.

buy a 12v adapter that can support serveral items. buy the neons/accesories and plug them into adapter and then use the cigarette lighter to get power.

this is a very easy way but youll have to manually switch them on... it still looks very cool tho 8)

dunno if its any use to u......
:oops:

cheers
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Hmm possible, but I want a more tidy pro looking solution if you know what I mean?

I want it to light up when the interior light comes on. LIke when you open the door or something?
Sugar Muppet
New

Post by Sugar Muppet »

A neat way of wiring up neons is to go to a scrap yards and buy some switches to replace the false switches in your car (eg in my 6n i now have 3 rear heated window switches, one does my heated window, one my neons and one my amp), i have my interior sprayed purple so you can't see the symbols. The switches only cost £1 each and they are dead simple to wire up. Looks so much neater than wires trailing around the car.

xx
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

And where would I get the current/power from?
Sugar Muppet
New

Post by Sugar Muppet »

Take your pick!

If you want them on all the time, go for something that is constantly live. ie hazards rather than heated window.

xxx
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Well is it alright to draw that much current from the hazard light switch?
Sugar Muppet
New

Post by Sugar Muppet »

Depends what you add to it.

You may have to change the fuse to a higher one thought.

xx
sylonien
2nd Stage Warning

Post by sylonien »

Oh right. Well can I just change it to a higher random fuse or do I have to cleverly technically work out the peak amp rate?
macemc86
Silver Member

Post by macemc86 »

BAH! when i tried to install my neon inside the car my brother in law took over.
I decided to have a little break and let him get on with it........after 15 mins i come back to see him sticking a screwdriver in my cigarette lighter socket trying to pull it out......... now it doesnt work :@ !!!!!!!!!!
sorry, totally off subject, but i needed to rant lol.
warrmr
Silver Member

Post by warrmr »

if you are gonna draw off something like hazards or the heated window use a relay. so you have the switched live into the relay then you have a permanat live into the realy from the battery via a fuse appropriate to the equipment your useing. ( the combned amperage shows you the fuse you need then the thinckess of the cable is determined by the fuse you use. i cant remember the equasion but hey im sure someone on here will tell you. ) then theres a ground on the relay then the last terminal you connect to the relay you connect to the live for all your accessorys.

the idea of a realy if you didnt know is to use a small draw to switch on a large current. so you dont have large cables running about the place.
example ( i have made the numbers up. )

you need 10,000 volts to start the car and you dont wish for that to come in contact with the key via the ignition. so you use a relay whereby the ignition has a 2 amp current to turn on the high amperage high voltage ignition system thus protecting the user.
suby786
New

Post by suby786 »

ok lads these are the ways you can do it..

ive got a mk4 and this is how i have done it...

ive wired it to the back of the cigarette lighter. In the haynes manual it says how to remove the lighter properly, This was my power and ground to a mini distribution block, a little plastic device with as many holes as u want, you just strip the end and slam it in, and it catches and holds...

anyway you wire the power wires of ur neon transformer to this... this also lets you add further ones, i.e. ultra violets to my cluster etc etc...this is on an on/off switch supplied..

or you can wire it to the fuse connected to your headlights..

this is what i did with my friends car, he had these kool fuse adaptors.. u plug in the adaptor where the fuse is supposed to go..and on the back of this small adaptor is two slots...1slot is for the original fuse, and another 1 for your neons...the adaptor has a wire coming from it which will have 12v whenever you turn the lights on... that worked very well but i cant find those taps anymore..

if you want it when your door opens, im not sure on the electronics, all i know is rthere a switch near the door frame, you could take that out and tap it for your supply...but to be honest once you see them on, u'll want them on all the time at nite...

dont wire it to the illumination wire on switches, i.e rear heater mirror illumination, works when u turn the lights on fine...but once you DIM the interior lights using the roller then your neons turn off...as the voltage is dropped..

hop ive helped..
RACINGGTI
Getting There!

Post by RACINGGTI »

8) 8) Just been reading your topic and thought I'd tell ya what i've done! It's the dogs dangalies and even works by remote!!! 8) 8)

First off I pulled the internal light out (yep the whole unit!) and located the power supplies (this is a little different to regular wiring as you are gonna be working with a positive ground instead of a regular one! You will need to make sure these lights have anti feedback resistors in ensuring they will not send the power the wrong way down the wire.) but trust me it's cool. You will need to monitor both of these and locate the one that turns from 12v to ground (dims the internal light). Yep you guessed it! your lights will also dim (together). Now at this point you will need to set up a junction block to add all your devices to (ensuring you place fuses on each of these individually too!) Once you have this you have you power and ground etc. wiring to permanent 12v with your red (power), and wiring to the variable 12v with your ground. I have done this and rigged it up to some under-arch neons too so, when you zap your car to lock/unlock they all light up/go off. Also when you switch you internal light on they will all switch with this. The other bonus is it looks SOOOOO COOOL when the all dim and go out!

:idea: :idea: Go-on give it a go and remember to plug RACINGGTI as the trickster for lighting your POLO's! :idea: :idea:
polo69
Bronze Member

Post by polo69 »

Mines was.

Use a scotch clip (?) and clip it onto the cigarette lighter, and mines came with an on/off switch, which i drilled into the little box under the heater switches :) Came with that exact instructions and parts, took me 5 mins, and cost me £10 for 2 frm ebay.

Though i would like to have them come on when i open the door, as ive seen someone talk about.