Olympic Blue TDi Sport - heater dials, painted calipers

Post pictures of your car! (Max size 30k each - 800x600)
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Olympic Blue TDi Sport - heater dials, painted calipers

Post by Ben90 »

Fairly uninspiring dealer photo

Spec when I bought it:
1.9 Tdi Sport 100 in Olympic Blue, had to look around a bit to find one for sale in this colour :D
16" San Marinos - now replaced with refurbed Monty II's

Upgrades/mods:
TT pedals and metal TDI footrest cover
Pressed plates
Dynamat-ed doors and rear quarters
Elephant mod
Calipers painted blue

Brushed aluminium vinyl steering wheel inserts, already caught the vinyl wrapping bug! :D

Black leather gear gator with blue stitching, found on fleabay. Much thicker soft leather although that does mean it is harder to get back in place! Looks good when it's done though I think. :)

That's all for now!
Last edited by Ben90 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 13 times in total.
ejburton
New

Re: Ben90's Olympian Blue TDi Sport

Post by ejburton »

nice colour!
I've got a 1.9 tdi sport in silver with Varanzo alloys, but I'd love to have it in blue. I like the way you've got the brushed aluminium inserts on the steering wheel, adds to the style - did you buy the inserts or wrapped it yourself?
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

I had all sorts of nothing while googling 'Varanzo' there :P Found Varano's though, I assume they're the ones. They look good!

Wrapped it myself, I thought I didn't have the patience for it but it's easy to pick up. Anybody who's afraid to should buy a small 300mm x 200mm sheet for like £3 and give it a go! It's simply a trick of heating it up for the corners and tricky bits and stretching it in different directions, you can peel back and try again and again until you get it right. Tempted to do my centre console..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRUSHED-ALUMI ... 76c09be5d5
ejburton
New

Post by ejburton »

Thanks for the advice! Will have a go on those! :)
Centre console will look good with the brushed aluminium but try not to over-do it otherwise it'll look like one of those corsa's centre console.
The Varano's; have a look on my topic http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 24&t=54546
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

Few updates today as the temperature has finally risen above zero, gave the car a proper wash and added a Kamei front mask in chrome and some other bits:

Last edited by Ben90 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

Few updates today, I bought a PD160 off a member here and fitted it (remembering to cable-tie back the small pipe on the engine to stop it rubbing) I won't bore you all with the generic picture of it in the engine bay, you can google a hundred of those, I have however pictured the size difference on the trumpets, as this is the main restriction on the stock intakes. It's pretty significant!

I couldn't decide whether to remove the storm/snow flap on the part that the trumped clips into. Obviously, VW have spent time and money researching it and found it necessary to put it there to stop water entering the airbox blah blah, on the other hand it looks like it diverts all air coming into the intake down into the engine bay before the intake can suck in some now toasty air from behind the radiator :? This would not do, so for now I've drilled a few holes in the storm flap and I will keep an eye on any damp entering the airbox after a few trips on the motorway on a rainy day, with a view to cut it out entirely if all goes well.

Anyway, paired with a cotton panel filter I can definitely feel an improved throttle response, there's also a nice low intake sound on tickover. Overall I'm pleased and with a remap compared to stock it's like night and day! It's also regularly reaching 60mpg on motorway journeys :D Best of both.
Few other little things:

TDI dead pedal (Oh and TT pedals):

Uk-Polos.net sticker - with matching VW one I found on the Bay :D (excuse the dirty window)

Pressed plates:

Lastly I spent a couple of hours stuffing sealing cord into any and every interior panel that creaks, kindly sent to me by a member on here :) I put some between door panels, dash panels, rear-quarter panels and some around the air vents, they now don't creak at all when pressed, I hope this also reduces rattles on rubbish roads. I definitely noticed an improvement and didn't have to turn the radio up so loud to drown out the noises. Time well spent!

Last edited by Ben90 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

And after a quick clean today. I say quick, it took most of my sunday :lol:

tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

8)
kristafari
Silver Member

Post by kristafari »

its looking tidy dude

best vw colour out
Ben90
Silver Member

Re: Ben90's Olympic Blue TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Thanks guys, not a lot has happened recently apart from a 6R aerial. There was a very slight loss in reception, but I can live with it since I hardly listen to the radio anyway :) I'm considering getting my lower bumpers colour coded, has anybody who has had this done noticed any excessive stone chipping on the lower valances? If so I might do away with the mudflaps while I'm at it..

Last edited by Ben90 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
samcherrett
New

Post by samcherrett »

Looking tidy mate! Where did you get the TDI footrest from? And did they only do them with 'TDI' on do you know?
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

I picked it up from eBay mate, I'm on my mobile so can't send a link but I'm sure you'll find it. It came in all sorts of designs as I think they were made to order, you could get gti, gt, tdi, probably anything you wanted. it was a great kit with all the fittings included, not bad for £15! :D I'll put a link up when I'm home.

EDIT: This was the only one I could find mate, it's very similar but there doesn't seem to be an option of lettering. Maybe the guy i bought them off only did a small batch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-POLO-GTI-9 ... 840wt_1037
Last edited by Ben90 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samcherrett
New

Post by samcherrett »

Ah lovely stuff mate! May have to get myself one of those! Cheers for the help!
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

No updates for a while but some new wheels are on the way, so my San Marino's are going to be replaced with a set of freshly refurbed Monty 2s which will go on tomorrow :D The Marino's will more than likely go up for sale.

Another little mod I've been pondering over is the venting of the stock SMIC, or the lack of it. There's a decent amount of ducting guiding air in from the front lower grille, but as soon as the air passes through the IC, it is met with a solid face of wheel arch cover. Since I don't intend to go stage 2 for FMIC I figured venting the SMIC will help keep charge temps down on the occasional spirited drive :)

I've noticed a few Audi models have vented wheel arches behind the intercoolers, like the TT. This could be because Audi tend to 'map-up' their engines where they can to give them the edge over other VAG group cars with the same engines, so I thought it couldn't hurt to have a go with mine.

Cover off and cleaned:

Then cut several slits about 1 inch apart:

Holding the vents open with CDs (and hula hoops!) while the plastic cools:

All done:

Finished, fitted and barely noticable. The vent gaps are around 1cm wide, more than adequate I thought:
I made sure that the vents slant downwards to minimize crap getting in behind the cover.

Total cost: £0 and an hour of my time. :D Love those pikey mods, and possibly gained about 0.05bhp :lol:

New shoes go on tomorrow!
Last edited by Ben90 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gewoonjan
New

Post by Gewoonjan »

Nice vent mod! :D
Just a little ingenuity and your saving a few bucks for actually buying a metal vent and bolting it on there.

Just wondering. Why not upgrade to a FMIC? The ones on eBay are quite cheap and also do a propper job!;) the only thing you'd have to buy is quality hoses to go with the FMIC.