Olympic Blue TDi Sport - heater dials, painted calipers

Post pictures of your car! (Max size 30k each - 800x600)
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: Ben90's Olympic Blue TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Haha thanks, I saw it on a golf forum, except the CDs holding the vents open was my idea, it kept the slats straight as well as open as they cooled, the plastic went really soft once it was heated!

The SMICs are okay for this power, just poorly ventilated :roll: I did look at FMICs but they're not really needed for this engine unless you're going stage 2, in which case you'd have to upgrade to pd150 turbo and injectors at the same time which comes to a hefty bill, not good for me since I'm on a budget :( it pulls well enough.

I'm going to check the inlet manifold/EGR for crap buildup next. I'm more interested in the engine running as best as it can, rather than pushing out the most power.

In other news, the Monty 2's turned up and they just don't have the finish I'm after (rattlecan refurb) but are in perfect structural condition with no deep scratches or corrosion, so I've dropped them into Platinum Alloy Solutions in Swindon (my Polo's home-dealership town!) for stripping and repainting in standard VW alloy silver. Will update as I collect them later this week. :D
Last edited by Ben90 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gewoonjan
New

Re: Re: Ben90's Olympic Blue TDi Sport

Post by Gewoonjan »

Ben90 wrote:The stock SMICs are pretty good units, just poorly ventilated :roll: I did look at FMICs but they're not really needed for this engine unless you're going stage 2, in which case you'd have to upgrade to pd150 turbo and injectors at the same time which comes to a hefty bill, not good for me since I'm on a budget :( and I'm fairly happy with stage 1, it pulls really nicely.

I may get the map tweaked after my mini-mods are done. Going to check the inlet manifold/EGR for crap buildup next. I'm more interested in the engine running as best as it can, rather than pushing out the most power.
Well.. you could do something else, I don't know if you like your foglights a lot? But you could remove them and make a duct from one of the holes to the SMIC to improve the airflow ;)
A dutch Seat Leon (1M) driver mentioned it made a huge difference on his car, but that's all up to you to do it or not ;)

And for conserving your engine, your way is the best way to do it, max power isn't good for anything in daily use :)

Anyway keep up the work, I am definitly following your thread to see the changes over time :)
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

The Monty's are on :D

The calipers look like they need a paint more than ever now though.

Hmmm :?
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

Update on the the Intercooler vent mod I did a couple of weeks ago, I think it's working pretty well. After a drive on some wet roads I've been checking under the wheel arch and noticing that where I cut the slats there is a big dry patch of plastic, indicating that warm air is coming through the vents 8) Obviously this will become much more significant when driven fast. Overall a success I think.

Another update, I found a Votex genuine rear spoiler on eBay.de for cheap and had to buy it.

Fortunately it is genuine and comes with the screws and clips needed to fit the rear brake bar, I was worried i'd have to source these elsewhere.

It needs to be sent off for painting and then I'll fit it, I may leave fitting until spring when it warms up though :? Has anybody had problems with tigerseal/siklaflex not bonding in these temperatures? I somewhat doubt I'm going to have the patience to leave this unfitted until next year! :shock:
Ben90
Silver Member

Re: Ben90's Olympic Blue TDi Sport - Catch can

Post by Ben90 »

So I went off on a bit of a tangent with the spoiler fitting, but that will be painted soon. Next I decided to fit a catch can to trap oil vapours from the crankcase rather than having them sent back into the inlet (which should be a crime) so I picked up the bits:

The catch can came with no filtering material inside, totally empty :? with the inlet and outlet so close together it looked kinda pointless, so I picked up some wire wool and set about 'whittling' down a short length of pipe so it would fit into the 'inlet' of the catch can to let the oily air swirl around in the bottom of the can before going through the wire wool filter to the outlet at the top (or bottom, as above it is pictured upside down) The blue hose comes from the engine. I used an old coke can with the top and bottom cut off to act as a prop to keep the wool in place. Now it works like a proper oil separator!

Fitted on the side of the airbox, the engine cover still fits :)

A definite mod for all diesel engines if you want them internally cleaner, they're big about it over on Briskoda. Carbon still comes in through the EGR but is less of a force to be reckoned with if it's not mixed with oil. I'd prefer to keep my EGR for the sake of engine warming times reducing wear and retaining the ASV, mine's not caked anyway.

Overall pretty pleased as no oil is escaping through the little blue cone filter, so if there is any oil it's going into the can. 8) Plus I get to tell people it's my induction kit. :lol:

Comments and criticisms welcome!
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Good choice in mods :) keep the reliability up.. I wish i had an ASV now, makes switching the car off less embarrassing lol
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

Cheers :D I'll be cleaning out the intercooler and pipework at some point to get the oil out once and for all, my IC pipes are caked with oil at the joints even on the outside, that was the reason for fitting the separator. I skimmed over a sciencey report that showed the effects of oil residue on heat transfer efficiency. :shock: I think I've become obsessed with engine cleanliness phahaha. She's also getting a seats-out interior clean soon. :roll:

By the way I think Darkside Developments make delete kits for the pd130 that literally only replace the EGR leaving your ASV in place. They're also doing group buys over on Briskoda.
Oobadooba
New

Post by Oobadooba »

I've been thinking about this mod but unsure whether to route the pipe straight into a catch can and block the intake or recirculate it into the intake or route into the catch can and have a seperate pipe/filter for the intake. I cant make out from the photos what you have done.
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

Thanks for your reply. The Catch can has an inlet and an outlet, the pipe from the breather goes into the inlet, swirls around a bit, filters through the wire wool at the top and out of the outlet which then goes through a mini cone filter, hopefully as clean air. I don't know what the cone does really, it just looks better than a bare hose.

Some people fit the outlet hose back into the TIP to complete the circuit, saying the CCV system needs a negative pressure from the air intake through the venturi-effect to help 'suck' the oily fumes out, which in turn keeps crankcase pressures down and if you don't do it you may get running issues. I have enough pipe to route mine back if i wanted too but the car runs fine with the TIP blocked off.

Word of warning with recirculating the filtered air is if the catch can becomes completely full of oily crap (say, by not emptying it for like 2 years+) said crap may be forced back into the inlet as a load of fluid, straight into the turbo. For this reason I'm reluctant to recirculate unless I have to.
Oobadooba
New

Post by Oobadooba »

Thanks for your help, makes sense. The negative pressure can't make that much of a difference surely. A lot of people seen to have done it on the skoda forum without running problems. I would route it behind the engine under the car but wouldn't want and oil on the driveway, not that I think there'd be much given the ratio of oil to water and the amount that would be released at a time.
Ben90
Silver Member

Post by Ben90 »

I'm pretty sure the amount of oil is negligible, if you ever get puddles they should be the least of your worries! There's also a constant positive pressure from the crankcase, and I think if the CCV truly relied on the venturi-effect to suck air back into the Inlet then there would be a sudden narrowing in the TIP at the point the CCV pipe enters it to maximise the effect, like a carburetor.

I was thinking about just routing the pipe under the car but I just fancied a proper job, even though I have to maintain it. Now I just have to check the level on the can when I check the oil.
Oobadooba
New

Post by Oobadooba »

I ordered mine this morning, bought enough pipe and fixings to route it back into the TIP if I want, I'll try both to see if there is a difference.
Ben90
Silver Member

Re: Ben90's Olympic Blue TDi Sport - RARB

Post by Ben90 »

First update in a while, despite the cold weather it has been dry which let me get a couple of things done.

Firstly I removed the catch can as it was filling up much sooner than I thought, mostly with water. Meanwhile the little blue filter was getting clogged with oily emulsion from the inside. Basically it wasn't a good long-term solution, so I decided to run a 'elephant' hose straight down the side of the engine block and under the body to atmosphere. Had it in for about 700 miles with no issues, no clogging, freezing or smells in the cabin :) No pictures of it but it's fairly self explanatory.

The rear roof spoiler is painted, looking awesome, but is still awaiting fitting. I've got the tigerseal and the know-how, I just need temperatures above freezing before I fit it :roll:

Last but not least I recently ordered a Whiteline RARB from Awesome-Gti and fitted it this morning
During:

Done:

Went out for a drive on my favourite country roads near me and to say it improves the ride is a serious understatement. I noticed the difference almost immediately after leaving the driveway, far less body roll even at slow speeds. On hard cornering, holy crap, it holds the road like a bar of soap! The difference is amazing and the ride comfort is also improved. A tight corner you'd normally take at no more than 40, you take it at 55 and it feels like 30, so much more composed. Hands down the best £-for-£ mod you could ever do next to a remap in my opinion. It's the kind of mod you should have fitted months ago... What? You haven't fitted one? Why are you sat there? Go buy one!

Apparently it's adjustable, but I fitted it on the only setting I could see. The other two holes near the end are solely for reducing weight. :lol:

I've also got a set of X-type OE console bushes to fit very soon, the stock ones are buggered and are creaking regularly now.

Finally, I altered my number plate surrounds to look more subtle, partly because the word 'tuning' makes me ill.

8)

Cheers!
Last edited by Ben90 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Looking good now.. Totally agree with the RARB, that and the remap definitely the best value! Keep it up :)
rover220
Gold Member

Post by rover220 »

good update, looking forward to getting my rear arb fitted now