Tom's TDI

Post pictures of your car! (Max size 30k each - 800x600)
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Re: Tom's TDI

Post by greypolo9n3 »

blooody hell...surprised u didnt bend the axle/stub axle or hubs....

I had a less severe knock and it f*ucked evrything up
Eddie9n
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie9n »

No, I still have her. I go through a bit of love hate with it but generally adore it and can't let it go, just yet. Recently I've been contemplating taking it to darkside and allow them to unleash pretty much everything they've got on it. However, I then find my self looking at audi a3's, so don't know what to do! Your's is insane though and I'd absolute mine to have a similar output!

To be honest, I've pretty much liked every wheel choice that you've had. I actually really liked the audi reps you had!
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Yeh i got lucky! Id only just got new shocks for the front coilovers too!

I always chop and change between the idea of going for something different.. Ive taken the car so far i feel like i might as well finish it.

Cheers on the wheels :) it was purely brake clearance that made me get shot of the reps :(

I suppose it depends what you want from a car? Sometimes i want a smooth cruiser or a nice standard car.. Then again i dont want to grow up too soon!haha.. Lifes too short and all that.
macp
Getting There!

Post by macp »

Great colour and really like how you have kept it subtle just lowering with classy wheels
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

macp wrote:Great colour and really like how you have kept it subtle just lowering with classy wheels
Cheers mate!
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Wow, so its been nearly 2 years since I updated this!

Still got the car.. Last time I posted I was talking about going down the GTB2260 route etc. Well its come a long way and gone back a bit since then!

The Weitec coilovers were leaking oil out both fronts. I chose to scrap them as the ride was crap anyway. I went for the Bilstein B12 suspension kit (Bilstein dampers with Eibach Springs)

Didn’t like the ride height of the 30mm Eibach Pros:

Swapped the springs out for H&R 35mm jobs (again!) Much better but not as low as the Weitecs:

In March 2014 the car was fitted with the GTB2260 and 80% Firads and an improved (over my previous “improved” camshaft).

The power delivery when compared to GTB1756 was savage. On the road the 2260 felt the same if not less laggy amazingly.

This graph is my old 1756 vs 2260 setup. You can see the power is far superior without any lower end losses with the larger turbo. It really did pull to the redline. The limit was set at 5200rpm but you could really feel it would go further!

For a bit of banter, I had heard of a dyno outside of Manchester churning out some monster power figures on a lesser setup than my own.. I was a bit confused so decided to head over to see whats what. The dyno in question had been used to tune a Polo 130 to “290bhp and over 400lbft”.. I couldn’t believe my car was making 20bhp less with an uprated cam!

So it went on and…….the results speak for themselves:

Yes that’s 337bhp and 486ftlb..

Absolutely the most ridiculous figures for this car. Complete crap. At least it put in perspective where my car stood in relation to other tuned Polo tdi’s!

Darksides dyno prints are if anything very conservative. They give you honest figures and the car performs.

I was well impressed with this setup and carried on using the car as a daily. Unfortunately, as my luck is with this car, it didn’t last..

A word of warning to the few people out there with Polo 130’s wanting to go down the big power route.. The cooling for the Polo chassis when compared with the Ibiza and Fabia is far far poorer. This car has consistently suffered with overheating issues. The conclusion being that the shape of the front bumper limits efficient airflow. There are several other big power Ibiza/Fabias who don’t suffer with the same problems.

So this happened:

Piston 1 split in half with the second starting to go. Not good!

An ASZ engine was sourced from a 2003 Audi A3 and all my bits swapped over.. While I was essentially having a rebuilt engine I decided to take things to the next level.

On went a worked head, upgraded valves and lifters with a tune to suit.

The power was even more impressive than before – only a small increase in peak figures (a slight drop in torque) but a massive power band.

So the car was a bit of a monster.. I had a go against a chap in an A45 AMG and tbf the Merc was quicker….but only just.. He flagged me down and he told me how amazed he was at the pace of the Polo and that he hadn’t seen anything come that close to him yet! Fun times.

So back to the daily drive.. As I was saying about cooling.. its not very good :/

The car started smoking at idle and was a struggle to start some days. I sent it up to the boys at Darkside to check it out. Cracked head and piston, due to overheating AGAIN. What a surprise. Like I said – if you’re going to do this big power – it might be best to go with a fabia/Ibiza as they don’t have this issue..

So that’s where im upto atm.. The car is having its 3rd ASZ engine fitted this week and im looking forward to getting it back. Ive decided to reign the power in this time too. It just cant handle the heat. So probably back to around 260bhp.

Ive been without it for 6 weeks now and miss the pure hilarity of it haha..
Decided to get a proper car to run along side it now too.

M135i Auto. After 2 weeks of collecting the car I fitted a BCS exhaust system and had it lowered on Eibach Springs.

I have a Sports Cat in the garage and will be going for the JB4 piggyback in the new year. This should be good for over 400bhp.

That’s it for now…cant believe its been almost 2 years!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

In a word, awesome 8)
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

alexperkins wrote:In a word, awesome 8)
Cheers dude! :)
Loujam
New
Drives: Tdi 130 sport

Post by Loujam »

Nice power,new to the site,I have the Tdi 130 sport in that colour too,had it remapped on a rolling road to 180 bhp and has the larger air intake and better filter,not much more I can do to it really without spending loads.
I love it,surprises a few people and having the winter pack with the heated seats,heated washer jets,headlamp washers esp and cruise makes it a bit more rare, only 261 left registered in this country now