Polo Saloon VR6 Drag Project

Post pictures of your car! (Max size 30k each - 800x600)
Ryan Image
New

Polo Saloon VR6 Drag Project

Post by Ryan Image »

Evening all!

Sure some of you know this car from the scene or the numerous times its been on ebay (including by myself)

Bought for £600 odd off of eBay as an impulse purchase, I was going to buy another bike but was looking up VR6s for a mate and this showed up. Popped up to Northamptonshire and drove it back to Portsmouth after bump starting it outside the blokes house, having the battery terminal pop off in a petrol station and locking the key in it at Swan Valley Services. Oh the wheel bearing was on its last legs too which made it all the more exciting.

When I got it home and looked into it further the car had been written off back in 2008 as a Cat C which I wasn't told about and the previous owner didn't seem to know about. The Conversion was done between 2011-2013, it had its first MOT with the engine in this March and I'm the 3rd owner since then, very unloved car!

I put it up on eBay as I have just set up my own company but got a barrage of stupid offers and questions so I took it back down and decided to turn it into a drag project and promo vehicle to advertise my business.

Since owning it I've had the wheel bearing sorted after it totally collapsed after getting it home, scored up the flange housing and nearly caught fire. Also made the suspension safe as when you jacked it up the top mounts pretty much pulled straight out of the struts. She's currently in getting a few more bits done, currently needs 4 tyres, front flexi brake hoses, rear brake pads, rear brake pipes shortening as they were bent to fit, new handbrake assembly, indicators and rear lights changed as they aren't the right colour, headlight doesn't have an image, suspension geometry needs setting up and loads of other little niggles.

On the plus side its got a very strong and sweet Golf OBD1 Coilpack 2.8 VR6 Lump mounted to a Coraddo VR6 Gearbox, VR6 Front Shocks, VR6 5x100 Hubs with 280mm Discs/Calipers up front and 226mm on the rear. Also running a De-cat and full stainless system (albeit one that sits a bit too inboard and gives you carbon monoxide poisoning!)

I will be wrapping the bumpers in Matt Black, the body in a Candy White and fitting some standard with 15" steelies with suitable tyres. Also looking to raise it up as its on cut springs, want more clearance but stiffness as it will also be used on the road as a street sleeper. Inside I will be stripping out everything that's not needed, cutting where needed and adding the required equipment for my class of drag racing
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Re: Polo Saloon VR6 Drag Project

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Welcome to the forum, and that's a proper sleeper you have there!

Looking forward to seeing this project progress :)
Ryan Image
New

Post by Ryan Image »

Thanks Josh, looking forward to sharing my progress. I've owned loads of VWs over the last 15 years but this is the scariest thing I've driven! Will make a great fast road/track car and be good for bracket racing with VWDRC
Ryan Image
New

Post by Ryan Image »

Toying around with the start of my graphics for racing

Ryan Image
New

Post by Ryan Image »

My Facebook page, show some Polo love! http://www.facebook.com/vwsp290