Mk2 Starter Solenoid repair

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
eddbmxdude
New

Mk2 Starter Solenoid repair

Post by eddbmxdude »

Hey guys,
Im new on here. I posted this on clubpolo but they haven't been very helpful. I want to get the polo on the road again by the end of the week so I need to find out how to do this.

My polo has been starting more and more reluctantly over the past week and now it won't start at all. It started turning over very slowly, then it would suddenly 'pick up' and spin over properly and start. Then it just started turning over really slowly, as if the battery was dying and now it doesn't turn over at all.
I have whipped off my starter and tested it on a battery, the solenoid isn't throwing over. Although im not sure im connecting it up properly.

I did a search and bought up a thread with a link to this: http://www.aircooledtech.com/solenoid_repair/
I have taken the solenoid off of my starter with the intention of repairing it. I want to get the polo running for as little money as I can and I don't want to go throwing out perfectly usable parts that are easily servicable.
The only problem is my solenoid seems to be sealed, the ones in the article I linked to are held together with two screws. Has anyone taken the type that I have apart before? How do I get into it?
Heres the one that came off of my car.

If anyone can give me some pointers I would be really greatful.
Heres the car in question 8)

Cheers,
Edd[/img]
steveo3002
Silver Member

Post by steveo3002 »

i think you just have to replace the whole solenoid

although if the car was turning over its not the problem...slow turning would suggest a dud /flat battery or the starter or battery cables are poor

how have you connected it up to test it?