Need help with damage to car...

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
The G Man
Getting There!

Need help with damage to car...

Post by The G Man »

Even though my breadvan is in v.good condition for its age and will last another 5 years AT LEAST they've valued it at a measly £180 and it looks like they're marking it uneconomical for repair due to its age (complete and utter..... seeing as the damage is merely cosmetic! There is no damage what-so-ever to the chasis)

Have managed to beat out about 50% of the damage yesterday and fit bog standard lenses to the back until I can find another set of lexus ones. So, the car is legal again.

The problem I've got is trying to get the rest of the dent/crease out. I'll try and upload some pictures at some point.

The dent/crease I can't beat out is in an area where I can't get anything in to knock it out (not even a small hammer as the gap inside is probably about 3 inches wide. It's behind the inner wall of the boot. I can fit my hand in and feel the bump but obviously I'm not gonna be able to push it out without some mechanical aid. I'll try and upload some pictures so you can see what I mean.

I want to try and get it as straight as possible before attempting to fill and respray it so if any of you guys have got any ideas as to what will get the rest of this dent out then please fire away. I've been looking at those suction things on ebay but am not sure whether the dent is too big for one of those to work.

Cheers,

Andy

Before:

After:

I've covered it with clear tape at the moment to protect it from the elements!
steveo3002
Silver Member

Re: Need help with damage to car...

Post by steveo3002 »

thats a fairly savage dent ...the g/f damaged ours in a similar way

with the light out you can shove something down there to try and lever some of it out

bodyshops use a slide hammer , either with self taper screws or welded on "nails " , theres a fair amount of strength near the arch

the damage where the light fits ...i chained ours to a lamp post and carefully pushed the car forward until it straightened it