New kid here! my first car/project 1983 mk2 polo coupe!

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
HarryCausier
New

New kid here! my first car/project 1983 mk2 polo coupe!

Post by HarryCausier »

needing abit of help with my car, i am currently doing automotive studies at college and have purchased a 1983 polo mk2 coupe. slight problems, welding is needed on the sills nothing i cant handle, carburettor has a flat spot and cuts out unless you keep a decent bit of revs, unsure weather it is a coupe s or just a standard coupe? it has the red line around the grill and body and interior and has the rev counter instead of the clock and was listed on the website as a polo coupe s? http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3123_n.jpg http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3689_n.jpg http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 4985_n.jpg THANKS :D
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: New kid here! my first car/project 1983 mk2 polo coupe!

Post by fonzooorooo »

Welcome... It's a bit quiet on this bit of the forum.

Nice car though.

I'm under the impression all S's were badged as such. (can't remember if the word "coupe" was in red, or just the "S" ... the "S" certainly was!) and would have had the 13" aloys like these:

(forgotten the name)

Carb issues are always fun! I assume it's got a Pierburg carb... They tend to suffer with auto choke issues (though there were manual choke ones too) Where abouts are you? If you're round the east mids, I could point you towards a good carb guy.
HarryCausier
New

Post by HarryCausier »

manchester, northwest, i was thinking about looking round some scrapyards and seeing if i get lucky, also my dad was saying sometimes they just need a good bit of carb cleaner and revving. cheers
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

That's a good place to start... as is checking/changing/fitting an inline fuel filter (clear plastic kind - then you can see if any grot gets in) as they often suffer with fuel tank/filler neck (integral neck and tank on these) rust issues... It's one of the main causes of issues- rust in the fuel.
erixtar1992
New

Post by erixtar1992 »

looks nice that! same as the one im scrapping due to rust unfortunately! deffinately looks like a coupe s to me, they werent all coupe s's back then, only after 1985 or 1986 i think they were all coupe s.

heres my one i had, i was in the middle of fixing it up to go back on the road but found to much rust to be safe for use. very similar!

the running problems with the carb may be down to a worn rubber carb gasket, there just under £20 from GSF.

the fog lights are rare! look after it.
Dilbo Baggins
New

Post by Dilbo Baggins »

Updates are a must, sounding like a nice project!.......