Decided on a MK2! Nooby needs help.

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
Nopolo_yet
New

Decided on a MK2! Nooby needs help.

Post by Nopolo_yet »

Hey guys and gals.

Decided on buying a mk2..... id like a mk1 really, but money means a mk2 it has to be!......

Now, what should i be looking for when i buy one? problem areas?..... Also, being new to the whole vw scene (well, not completely, my bro owns a bay van, and vanfest is a regular for me!) what are the main places to buy spares ect from?

thanks!

joe.
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: Decided on a MK2! Nooby needs help.

Post by fonzooorooo »

Look at:

Signs of water ingress into interior - Normally window seals, but a hassle to sort!

Filler neck/fuel tank. (1 piece, and you need to drop the rear axle to change it.)

Bottoms of the front wings (behind wheel)... That's where the plenum drains run, they often get full of leaves/sand/grot and rot from inside.

Area round fuel filler (again, dirt trapped behind up the wheel arch can set the rot in.

The mk2s have a carb. I know the later ones have a pierburg with auto choke. If you're looking at one of these (cylindrical green tank 3 or 4" dia. under bonnet) run it FROM COLD and check the auto choke does it's thing properly - They're dear/bothersome to work on, and a Weber twin choke is the usual replacement (easy to fit, relatively easy to tune) ... While I'm saying stuff about this, the mk3s (2F) have fuel injection - either a single point (think electric carb) or multi point (conventional), so don't suffer carb troubles.

Then it's the normal 20+ year old car stuff - Go for the most rust-free you can find!

Parts wise:

Only a few bits aren't available from regular motor factors... All your service/suspension/exhaust stuff's easy - often off the shelf... Likely that VW have discontinued a lot in the past couple of years (like they have with mk1 golf bits), but often worth an ask! (not always as dear as you expect)

BUY GOOD TYRES!!!!! ... The suspension geometry is WEIRD on these cars. They slide round corners rather than grip. It's predictable and fun though! For less "excitement", go for wider wheels/tyres. They're sensitive to tracking adjustment (you notice/skid/crash when it's out!)- so make sure that's right.

If the mk2 Haynes is the same as the Mk3, the head bolt tightening sequence is wrong - if you ever change a head gasket on one, follow the instructions on the gasket, not the Haynes!

Headlights are weak by modern standards. Upgraded wiring looms are available, and are money well spent! (The factory wiring is long and thin, resulting in significant voltage drop) Even with standard bulbs, the looms are a revelation, and with Osram Nightbreakers (or similar) the lights will be good.

Enjoy!
Nopolo_yet
New

Post by Nopolo_yet »

youre a legend..... going to veiw a car this afternoon, so imma print that off and take it with me! cheers!
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Post by fonzooorooo »

How'd the viewing go?