MKII Polo leaking Petrol from the Filler Cap

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
nickhalluk
New

MKII Polo leaking Petrol from the Filler Cap

Post by nickhalluk »

It's been doing it for quite a while, but its getting worse and really starting to bother me now!

Every time I get out the car there is petrol literally dripping from Fuel Filler Cap, it looks like it is sloshing up the filler neck and out the cap. The cap appears to have a good seal but its still coming out.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: MKII Polo leaking Petrol from the Filler Cap

Post by alexperkins »

The fuel caps have a habit of failing even if they look ok - its worthwhile getting a new one from GSF or similar.
nickhalluk
New

Post by nickhalluk »

alexperkins wrote:The fuel caps have a habit of failing even if they look ok - its worthwhile getting a new one from GSF or similar.
Had a quick look on eBay and can get them for about a tenner, just called my local main dealer and genuine VW part only £7.50! it's now a plastic one though, no longer metal, but if it sorts it then it will do.

They've got them in stock and he's reserved on for my, might try and pick it up Sat morning.

thanks for you help though Alex, I'll let you know how I get on.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

If your on an old metal one, the plastic one should definately sort it

Make sure its a locking one though - sometimes theyll provide one thats keyless which isnt much good on the mk2 as they fuel tanks arent anti syphon so someone could easily empty your tank.
nickhalluk
New

Post by nickhalluk »

well, went to pick up the filler cap from VW, the fella came out of the stores with an oil filler cap!!! idiots...

Anyway, got a new rubber gasket and though it was all sorted, but this morning on the way to work I could smell petrol again and sure enough, it's still leaking!!!
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I had a similar problem on my mk3, and it was because the breather pipe had split that connects to the top of the filler neck - check all your pipes out.