PLEASE HELP. my polo won't run.

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
breadvansteve
New
Drives: polo 2f

PLEASE HELP. my polo won't run.

Post by breadvansteve »

hi. can anyone help. my 92 polo breadvan 1l won't run. I was driving home from work on Friday and the car just cut out on my. luckily I was next to a junction so I free wheeled to a safe place. I called the AA out and the AA man said it could be a lazy fuel pump, it certainly feels like a fuel issue. I have also been informed by a mechanic friend that used to own a polo many moons ago that he had a similar problem caused by the crankcase filter/breather being blocked. the car will start and tick over for a while but when I try to rev it, it dies but when it does rev I can hold the peddle in 1 position and the engine revs up and down. I'm stumped now and I need my ride for work. any info would be greatly appreciated or if you live local to YO17 then feel free to pop round and help. sorry for the long drawn out post but I'm buggerd if I know what it is. I thought I knew my car inside out having owned her for 10 years but she has me on this 1. thank guy's and girls.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: PLEASE HELP. my polo won't run.

Post by alexperkins »

Fuel filter would be the first thing to check

Also check to see what state the air filter is in

Do you know the engine code? I imagine it'll be an AAV or similar SPI though it would be an MPI as its later
breadvansteve
New

Post by breadvansteve »

i checked the fuel filter and the air filter and oil filter are new. I had them changed a few weeks ago when I had my cam belt and water pump done. I have had my single point injector off and it looks like the rubber flange that it sits on is starting to look corroded so when I have chance I'm going to replace it as it does seem as though it's sucking air in somewhere. the crank breather will be getting replaced too.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

That could well be your issue. That seal is important
breadvansteve
New

Post by breadvansteve »

I didn't think of it at first but when I took the injector off to clean it I saw how bad the rubber flange / gasket was. gonna get a new 1 and hope that fixes it.