seat ibiza cupra - turbo?

Forum to discuss the Seat Ibiza
alistairolsen
New

seat ibiza cupra - turbo?

Post by alistairolsen »

Am I right in thinking you get/got a 1.8 turbo ibiza cupra?

Am I right in thinking its the one based ont he mk5 polo?

does anyone know how much was changed to fit this engine? Is the box and mounts and shafts the same physical size, or were they all upgraded?

many thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Im not sure what you mean mate?

The 1.8Turbo engine had absolutely nothing to do with any mk5 engine.

Its a common conversion into mk5 polos, but will cost you in excess of 2k to do this.

Most need upgrading due to the immense power of the engine - brakes especially.
alistairolsen
New

Post by alistairolsen »

I meant was the ibiza shell that came with this engine based on the mk5 polo?

Im aware of the rest of the upgrades, just worried about whats required to fit the engine!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Very loosely - its the same sub chassis, but most of it i beleive was strengthened to handle the power.

Ibiza chassis is a 6k, and a polo is a 6N for comparisons :)
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

There are two types of Ibiza chassis with the 1.8t, the current one and I guess you're referring to the 1999-2001 version, the 6k as Alex mentions.

The 6k or MK3 Ibiza is quite different to the Polo hatch (although identical to the Polo saloon and estate) in that it has the front suspension and engine bay based on the mk3 Golf, mated up to the rear end of a Polo.
Hence why in the Polo (hatchback) you only had the smaller capacity engines - there was much less room in the engine bay for the crumple zones and engine.
I'm not saying the engine won't go into the Polo as it will, it's not an easy task though, and you'd be far better off paying 4-5k on an Ibiza Cupra.
alistairolsen
New

Post by alistairolsen »

yeah, problem is I wanted to find ou th similarities to the polo in the hope it might go into a mk3 g40 lookalike!

If the ibiza used a golf front end then its extremely unlikely which is a shame!
BeezerDiesel
Bronze Member

Post by BeezerDiesel »

I've owned 3 mk3 Polos and a mk2, and would say the 1.8t would have far too much weight for that chassis, let alone way too much torque for the crude suspension to handle.
I had a G40 years ago and the chassis struggled with that.
I think I would look toward a 2.0 16v on throttle bodies if I were you. Fairly straightforward and masses enough power for that little chassis.
The 6N Polo is very different to the mk3 underneath. The mk3 is a 1970s chassis!!!