1.2 timing chain problems?

Forum to discuss the Seat Ibiza
jackthelad1990
Bronze Member

1.2 timing chain problems?

Post by jackthelad1990 »

Alrite guys... i have a 1.2 mk6 polo, i have had timing chain problems and looking into getting a mk4 ibiza 1.2...... but have you guys heard of any problems of timing chains with the ibiza 1.2? Just wondering as seat are in the same family! Thanks
Julia
New

1.2 03 Ibiza timing chain slipped and cost £1600 to repair

Post by Julia »

Hi,
I've just seen your question and in reponse would say no don't buy a 1.2 Ibiza! I bought mine second hand ('03 plate) and with only 18000 on the clock the timing chain slipped and caused no end of damage to the engine etc and cost me £1600.

More's to the point I've never come across such an unhelpful and disinterested customer service as Seat. I'm so disappointed as I thought after having owned VW golfs and Polos in the past Seat would be of the same quality both car wise and customer service wise but alas no.

The problem of the timing chain slipping on this particular Ibiza model seems to be a manufacturing problem but Seat are not fully admitting this (I've only uncovered this through forums such as this and also talking to independant mechanics and Seat dealers).
jackthelad1990
Bronze Member

Post by jackthelad1990 »

Thanks, yeah the polo had timing problems, cost me around 300pound... no where near 1600!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 1.2 timing chain problems?

Post by RUM4MO »

jackthelad1990 wrote:Alrite guys... i have a 1.2 mk6 polo, i have had timing chain problems and looking into getting a mk4 ibiza 1.2...... but have you guys heard of any problems of timing chains with the ibiza 1.2? Just wondering as seat are in the same family! Thanks
I would have thought that VAG would have repaired all the ones prone to wrecking their engines and now modified parts should have stopped this happening on new build models. If not then VAG must be pushing their luck and heading for oblivion (when you consider the other main faults with the cars based on this platform).
whitegtipolo

Post by whitegtipolo »

this happened on corsas and they all got recalled for new chains and tensioners, you think vag would do the same!
Lucretia
New

Post by Lucretia »

Does the same problem exist on the Ibiza 1.4 engines also?

I ask, cos I'm on the look out for a 2003+ 1.4 Ibiza ready for when I pass my test :D

Luke.
wes_keo
New

Post by wes_keo »

I had this problem with my 1.2 Ibiza. It had 56000 on the clock and in the end I swapped my car for a Polo and the Ibiza got scrapped cus they couldnt fix it. The Ibiza had numerous parts changed like timing chain, manifolds, gaskets, ignition coils. Basically the car was a nightmare. But having said that my Polo has the same engine, 1.2 12V and i've had no problems what so ever and it's done similar mileage now.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Lucretia wrote:Does the same problem exist on the Ibiza 1.4 engines also?

I ask, cos I'm on the look out for a 2003+ 1.4 Ibiza ready for when I pass my test :D

Luke.
No this was a problem unique to the 1.2 3 cylinder VAG engine. The 2003+ 1.4 petrol engine should be a BBY or ??? and they have a cam belt - another source of trouble if you don't get a "cambelt kit" plus an additional roller and probably the water pump replaced every 4 years are 60,000 miles. I'm not trying to make you move to another forum, but you will find lots of background info on these cars and engines on www.seatcupra.net and www.briskoda.net - both forums have very active members.