apart from furbys

Forum to discuss the Skoda Fabia
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

apart from furbys

Post by Tahrey1043 »

were any of the other skodas VW based?

particularly older ones - im wondering mainly in the direction of the felicia on this one

polo (golf?) based, or just a tweaked favorit?

cheers :)
Si_GTi

Post by Si_GTi »

The Felicia was one of the first, if not the first, car from Å koda to benefit from VAG influences. 1995 I think it was when the earliest models appeared.

I take it you mean one like this?

Don't know if it was based on a Polo floorpan or such, but certainly the Octavia (Golf) and of course the Fabia (Polo) are based on VAG underpinnings.

Ah, here we go - from the official Å koda Auto website:
In 1991, Å koda Auto ties onto the past and reenters global markets under the wings of the VW Konzern.
So it was 1991, not 1994. Every day's a school day :P
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

The Felicia was just a facelifted Favorit.

The Octavia was the first official VW shared floorpan, I think.
rooboy
Silver Member

Post by rooboy »

toXXin wrote:The Felicia was just a facelifted Favorit.

The Octavia was the first official VW shared floorpan, I think.
Correct young Jedi. The Felicia was just a re-engineered Favorit, adapted to accept VW running gear and parts like airbags, ABS, Power steering, etc.

It also looks like a softer version of the early Seat Ibiza, right down to the rear headlight design so it was obviously just a stop gap until the Fabia arrived to superceed it.

Just to be boring:
Mk1 Octavia = Mk4 Golf
Fabia = 9N Polo
Superb = Stretch version of the current Passat only on sale in China
MK2 Octavia = Mk5 Golf
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

Woo! I'm good (or sad...apply which one you think is appropriate!)
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

soze it any good, den? :) not that im assuming anyone will know!

doesnt seem to be anything wrong with their basic bodywork (apart from being a bit ugly, but I guess its built for east european conditions - salt resistant for the 6-month winter, and not pretty so it doesnt get nicked by all and sundry) and it's got the VAG bits inside, which from the age i'm reckoning will either be mk3 or early mk4 polo parts (and golf bits from the same era).

hmmphle
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

I wouldn't have one, unless it had a decent engine in it.

Also, my scrappy is full of seemingly mint ones...so I don't know if they're riddled with problems, or the owners have got rid of them because of MOT fails.

I'd rather have a SEAT Toledo...another butt ugly car, but its based on the VW Vento...they're comfortable, and rock solid.
rooboy
Silver Member

Post by rooboy »

Tahrey1043 wrote:soze it any good, den? :) not that im assuming anyone will know!

doesnt seem to be anything wrong with their basic bodywork (apart from being a bit ugly, but I guess its built for east european conditions - salt resistant for the 6-month winter, and not pretty so it doesnt get nicked by all and sundry) and it's got the VAG bits inside, which from the age i'm reckoning will either be mk3 or early mk4 polo parts (and golf bits from the same era).

hmmphle
They are not bad cars, they are the last of the cheep and cheerfulf ones of old. The 1.3 engine is almost bullet proof, it's got a hard wearing interior. The 1.6 is better and the 1.9 diesel does the job. The handling and driving position are not very good as it was designed for the bargain end of the market, if you want a cheep car that does not go wrong and wll get you from A - B with no hassle, then go for it, just don't expect it to be as good as a Polo of the same age.