Help Needed, Polo 9N3 Steering Issues

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
umar-dub
Silver Member

Help Needed, Polo 9N3 Steering Issues

Post by umar-dub »

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or if anyone knows what the problem could be.. Basically for the past 2 days when i start my car the steering is so heavy you cant steer to the left or right and when you switch the car of and back on again it sorts it self out. But this morning i had to switch the car off atleast twice and then back on again for the steering to work. So it seems like its getting worse day by day.

It only happens when the car has been parked over night and when i come to start it in the morning.

I just hope its not the power steering rack on its way out of the power steering pump :(

And i have looked everywhere to top up the power steering fluid but its no where to be found :S

Your help will be more then appreciated people :)

> Umar <
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Re: Help Needed, Polo 9N3 Steering Issues

Post by Ben90 »

A bit beyond me, but after consulting a Haynes manual I can tell you that the power steering pump/reservoir is below the battery, you'll have to remove it to gain access to the reservoir, you can probably just see it past the battery while it's in there, its the light green cap. For better access to the pump itself you'll have to remove the front bumper. :)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

For your initial problem, I think that you need to check your battery voltage as your battery or alternator might be faulty - or the load signal wire might be breaking or broken. One thing though, when you switch the ignition (or electrical services) switch on, does the battery light come on? If it does, then when the engine is started does this light do out at idle revs (if not, and if it does when you increase the revs to 2500, then the load signal wire is probably the problem)? If your car passes all these "tests", how about leaving it running reving a bit above idle for a couple of minutes before demanding so steering effort - if that sorts it out then I'd think that the battery is a bit weak and losing charge overnight.
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

Ben90 wrote:A bit beyond me, but after consulting a Haynes manual I can tell you that the power steering pump/reservoir is below the battery, you'll have to remove it to gain access to the reservoir, you can probably just see it past the battery while it's in there, its the light green cap. For better access to the pump itself you'll have to remove the front bumper. :)
Thanks for checking out the Haynes manual.. Really need to get my self one.. Right need to take some time out and check out what will be the best way to get to it.. Either remove the battery or bumper BUT after reading "RUM4MO" comment that does make sense as i know my battery is struggling at the moment so could possibly be that i might need a new battery.
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

RUM4MO wrote:For your initial problem, I think that you need to check your battery voltage as your battery or alternator might be faulty - or the load signal wire might be breaking or broken. One thing though, when you switch the ignition (or electrical services) switch on, does the battery light come on? If it does, then when the engine is started does this light do out at idle revs (if not, and if it does when you increase the revs to 2500, then the load signal wire is probably the problem)? If your car passes all these "tests", how about leaving it running reving a bit above idle for a couple of minutes before demanding so steering effort - if that sorts it out then I'd think that the battery is a bit weak and losing charge overnight.
Thanks for your reply. I will shortly go out and try what you have said..But what you have said does make sense because i know the battery does struggle at times. Also you stated the "load signal wire" is that thin black wire which is connected to the battery? I will need to do these tests first thing in the morning as it only happens when the car has been parked up for a while. So will keep you updated.

Once again thanks guys :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

No, the load signal wire is one of a pair of wires that run in a cable across the car and terminate at the alternator.
rover220
Gold Member

Post by rover220 »

the battery w3ill have nothing to do with your steering being heavy assuming its not electric power steering which i dont think it is.

first check is fluid level and alty belt condition.
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

rover220 wrote:the battery w3ill have nothing to do with your steering being heavy assuming its not electric power steering which i dont think it is.

first check is fluid level and alty belt condition.

UPDATE:

Today i started my car and the problem was there heavy steering and no matter how hard i tried it would turn left or right. So i revved the car for atleast a minute on 2500 revs and BINGO the problem was fixed. So as "RUM4MO" asked me to do this test it comes down to being a battery issue. So tomorrow morning will be ordering a new battery from T.P.S (Genuine VW Parts)

Thanks everyone and will let you know if the issue has been completely fixed by replacing the battery in the next couple of days.
VGTI
New

Post by VGTI »

Polo 9N3 steering is electric hydraulic so if the battery is bad you will have issues. Also check all earth and other connections.

I had a similar issue where the steering angle sensor wire wasn't seated properly. The light would come on and the steering would intermittedly be heavy.

It was very frustrating but I managed to find the problem eventually.
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

Today whilst driving down the motorway my readings on the dashboard had dissapeared and all was a blue light and no numbers. No time showing or the miles on the right hand side. Switched the car off and back on again problem has fixed but this looks like its starting to get worser by the day..

Well after some research plugged in my hand held diagnostic tool it came up with the below error:

17911 - Load Signal from Alternator Term. DF: Implausible Signal
P1503 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

After checking out on google i manged to find this:

http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... =8&t=41114

This seems very interesting and before purchasing a battery im going to check if the yellow wire under the car hasnt been snipped of of maybe both wires. If it has im going to try the fix that is shown in the link above..

Amazing how much a forum can help!! :)
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

VGTI wrote:Polo 9N3 steering is electric hydraulic so if the battery is bad you will have issues. Also check all earth and other connections.

I had a similar issue where the steering angle sensor wire wasn't seated properly. The light would come on and the steering would intermittedly be heavy.

Im going to try the simple fix where check the wiring and then if thats all good then a battery it is.. Also where would i find the steering angle sensor?? Could also take a look at that wire whilst im working on the car in the next couple of days..
VGTI
New

Post by VGTI »

umar-dub wrote:
VGTI wrote:Polo 9N3 steering is electric hydraulic so if the battery is bad you will have issues. Also check all earth and other connections.

Im going to try the simple fix where check the wiring and then if thats all good then a battery it is.. Also where would i find the steering angle sensor?? Could also take a look at that wire whilst im working on the car in the next couple of days..
The steering angle sensor is located where the steering meets the steering rack, the cable then runs from that sensor along the suspension "subframe" all the way to the pump I think.
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

After looking under the car by removing the underneath engine cover and the yellow wire was very badly corroded and in 2 places it was cut.

So after replacing the wire and has now been a few days the problem has fixed :) :)

Thank You Alll
leecool
New

Post by leecool »

Hi there umar-dub I have read your post as i am having the same issue. Where abouts was this dodgy cable you found? I've topped up the fluid with no change, I can't see any issues with the wiring going to the pump. I'm pulling my hair out! I've scanned the car, no faults found even though the power steering light is on.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

leecool, this is only from memory, but, if you look underneath your Polo, round about the area where the gearbox bolts to the engine, near the lowest areas you should find a small steel bracket that supports/holds a couple of plug<>socket cables - round about there is where the cables normally break/fail due to engine and gearbox movements. The cables that you need to examine pass through one of the two plug<>sockets.

Edit:- you should also check the battery voltage under various conditions, like after first starting the car and it idling, then when running at 2500RPM just to see if the alternator is not initially charging very well, but recovers if the engine revs are raised, then again at raised engine revs and with the headlights, cabin fan and rear window heater on - that will check if the alternator is still handing out enough current.

Finally, when you first switch the ignition on, does the charge (not charging) warning light come on, then after you start the engine does that charge failure light go off?