Lucaio's Build Thread

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Lucaio's Build Thread

Post by Lucaio »

Thought I would start a build thread, mainly so I can keep track my own progress (and because I'm a bit bored in work) :P

Purchased a Polo Sport 1.6 105ps as a Christmas present for myself as my old Clio was starting to die on me, picked up just before the new year completely standard:

Started off with some simple mods at the front, chucked on some GTi headlights, debadge grille and Lamin-X'd the fogs yellow and put some yellow HIDs behind them:
And a night time shot:
I also fitted a K&N 57i intake kit under the bonnet, gave it a nice sound when going 3.5k+ revs

Next was my first "major" mod, grabbed myself a GTi rear valance from the dealer and then took my polo to Pro-Speed to have a new backbox fitted. Chose to have a twin 3" tailpipe:
Now it purrs nicely.

Bought myself some lower honeycomb girlles from the group buy, "stickerbombed" one side of them:

Then I picked up some TT Comps, they are in need of a refurb but I'll get that done in the next few weeks:

And this is how she stands as of now (please excuse the crappy pictures, I took them quickly):

Wasn't planning on lowering it really but since fitting the 17s it's got more ground clearance than a Land Rover, so lower it will go.

Planning to do 1 mod a month, here's my list:
-Refurb comps in gloss black
-Lower, either H&R springs or save up for Weitec coilies
-Window tints

And then some other bits and bobs along the way such as black rear VW badge, stubby ariel, black sun strip and whatever else I can think of.

Hope you like it :D
Last edited by Lucaio on Wed May 01, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeahhluke
Silver Member

Re: Lucaio's Build Thread

Post by Yeahhluke »

Love it, great start mate! Can't wait to see it with the black comps and when it's lowered!!!
rover220
Gold Member

Post by rover220 »

what size are the tyres, look massive?
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

Yeahhluke wrote:Love it, great start mate! Can't wait to see it with the black comps and when it's lowered!!!
Cheers mate :D
rover220 wrote:what size are the tyres, look massive?
They're 225/45/17, thinking about changing them as I just took it out for it's first proper "run" on the comps and they were rubbing on the arches on every quick corner. That has kind of put me off lowering now, although I hope changing them to 225/35 will solve this problem.
Dennis
Bronze Member

Post by Dennis »

225 tyre is too much on a 9n3!go for 205/40!!!!
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

Dennis wrote:225 tyre is too much on a 9n3!go for 205/40!!!!
That's probably why I was rubbing so much, thanks for the heads up!
Dennis
Bronze Member

Post by Dennis »

no probs!225 is waaaay too much!

go for 205/40 (if only springs) or even 195/40 (if on coils) tyres!
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

Thanks mate, will probably go for 205/40s. Bit of a pain in the arse the tyres I have on now have plenty of tread left on them but I guess I can always try and sell them as part worn.
nooge
New

Post by nooge »

Nice to see another 1.6 Sport up and coming, still love the fact they are so rare and everyone assumes you're in a 1.4. Looking good with the GTI headlights and Comps, just needs a bit of lowering and will be golden mate!
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

nooge wrote:Nice to see another 1.6 Sport up and coming, still love the fact they are so rare and everyone assumes you're in a 1.4. Looking good with the GTI headlights and Comps, just needs a bit of lowering and will be golden mate!
Thanks mate :)
Yeah I hardly see any 1.6s around, it seems like mines the only one in the Cardiff area (probably isn't but it sure does look like it is!). The gti lights changed the car completely, best thing I have done to it imo.

Booked it in to fit some 205/40s on the comps at the end of the month (There shouldn't be any issues with rubbing when lowered on H&R springs with this size should there?), which means I the refurb will have to wait another month and the lowering a month after that :/
All the main stuff should be done by August, so hopefully there will be some shows left for me to bring her to!
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

New tyres are on, no more rubbing and it sits much better already.

Looking to get myself some H&R springs now but have a few questions over in this thread.
Then the alloy refurb has been postponed to mid July, but after that it should be all good :D
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

H&R Springs fitted and comps refurbed. Got the alloys refurbed at APS in Swansea, highly recommend him, top bloke and knows what he is on about!!
Will get a photo up when I've fitted them and given my car a good clean

Lucaio
Bronze Member

Re: Lucaio's Build Thread [New pic!]

Post by Lucaio »

A quick photo with the H&R springs fitted and the refurbed TT Comps on. Still got some work to do on it so hopefully tomorrow will be sunny and I can grab a few better photos.

Also, the back seems to sit much higher than the front on these springs, anyway to get the back to go lower?
GemPolo
New
Drives: Polo 9N3 Sport Edition

Post by GemPolo »

Liking what you've done, will keep an eye out for you around Cardiff. How difficult was it to swap the headlights?
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

GemPolo wrote:Liking what you've done, will keep an eye out for you around Cardiff. How difficult was it to swap the headlights?
Thanks! :)
Nice to see another Cardiffian about!

Was pretty easy, have to take the front bumper off though, took me about and hour first time I did it. Theres a guide on how to do it on the Forge site, I'll try and find it for you now.

EDIT: Here it is, steps 1 - 12 http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/FMINTPOLO.pdf