Possible Fix For TDI LIMP Mode Issue

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
umar-dub
Silver Member

Possible Fix For TDI LIMP Mode Issue

Post by umar-dub »

A possible cure for LIMP MODE!

My car kept going in to limp mode. When i would hit 65-70mph+ car would go in to safe mode and no higher then 3000 revs. The only way for it to reset it self was to switch the car off and then back on again. And yes my Polo 1.4 TDI has been remapped by Revo.

So taking it to these so called "mechanics" i was told its the turbo (almost skipped a beat when he told me) So instead of buying a new turbo i decided to give mine a good clean out. Turned out to be my turbo was not the Variable vane turbo after getting the mechanic to remove it. So he goes to me clean it anyway. So you see with the Variable vane turbo they have veins which are known to get sticky and cause limp mode BUT this does not apply apparently to the 1.4 TDI polo's. Anyhow whilst giving the turbo a good clean i gave the manifold, EGR and throttle body a good clean.. Then returned it back to the mechanic to put everything back together.

Took it for a test drive and still LIMP Mode. Was for some daft reason advised to change the temperature sensor which i did. My engine management light was on. Was complaining about my throttle body. So changed the throttle body which was around £290+ and took it for a test drive and still the DAMN limp mode!!

After spending silly amount of money i gave up with the mechanics and started to look at the issue myself in more detail.

YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT THE FAULT WAS!!!

A SPLIT PIPE!!

Basically this pipe that was split had been touching something VERY hot which caused the pipe to melt a little and cause a split. This pipe comes from the N75 Valve (i think thats what its called. Its a black box on the top left on your engine bay) and goes in to the turbo wastegate. Pipe number 2 (its numbered)

SO after £500+ less richer i found the issue myself and taped the pipe up as a temporary fix to test and it WORKED :) Will pop to the local TPS to get a new pipe

How gutted i feel but oh well im hoping someone else can benefit from the above and not being CONNED by these damn mechanics! :@
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Re: Possible Fix For TDI LIMP Mode Issue

Post by RITCHAT »

I had a similar problem with my 1.4tdi. I had split the lower turbo pipe so what happens is you have normal power 1st and second gears but top speed 75mph and it takes all day long to get there. My mate is an auto electrician so he put it on the computer and it stated the turbo pressure wasn't being reached opened the bonnet and boom there you go a nice crack across the lower pipe dead easy to fix just awkward to get into ebay 25 quid instead of the stealers 40 odd sheets. car back to normal now.
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

RITCHAT wrote:I had a similar problem with my 1.4tdi. I had split the lower turbo pipe so what happens is you have normal power 1st and second gears but top speed 75mph and it takes all day long to get there. My mate is an auto electrician so he put it on the computer and it stated the turbo pressure wasn't being reached opened the bonnet and boom there you go a nice crack across the lower pipe dead easy to fix just awkward to get into ebay 25 quid instead of the stealers 40 odd sheets. car back to normal now.

Funny you say that i have the exact same issue. Jacked the car and up and oh dear a split on the pipe that comes out of the turbo.
Taped it up but that didnt last long. So now waiting for TPS to get the pipe in for me. Damn cars!
nofeeling
Getting There!

Post by nofeeling »

This sounds like the problem I have . Its happened twice in a week , car feels like its got very little power ,struggles to reach 60mph ,but after turning ignition off/on its fine .
Used a cheap VAG scanner and got 17964 code . Cleared it and car ran for a week though did seem very slightly underpowered .
Will have to check the pipes for any damage .
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Failing that, there's a very thorough guide that involves cleaning the carbon buildup from the VNT vanes using Mr Muscle and a length of plastic tube. The guide is on Briskoda (Skoda Fabia VRS's use the same engine and have the same problems) and if you have a read through has helped many people sort out their limp mode issues. Have a look!
umar-dub
Silver Member

Post by umar-dub »

1.4 TDI turbo do not have variable vane turbos :) I know the 1.9 TDI do
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

That's news to me, I assumed they did! :oops:
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Unless it's the bluemotion or the rare 90 bhp variant found in the Audi A2.

Ash :)
nofeeling
Getting There!

Post by nofeeling »

Removed and cleaned EGR valve but the car is still playing up . Checked for fault codes and only got an alternator code .Now the car pulls fine except 4th and 5th gear eg 60mph in 5th floor it and its like its a non turbo diesel engine .
I`ve seen some silicon vacuum pipe on ebay ,4m for £6.00 and was thinking of just replacing all the vac pipes ,start with the cheapest then move up .
Anyone think its worth a try or have any suggestions .
ryanday91
Bronze Member

Post by ryanday91 »

Sometimes Just an oil change with a good engine flushing agent can cure the problem,
i had it on my skoda fabia vrs, was an over boost fault?

used a forte diesel treatment and a forte diesel cleaner

fixed the problem for about 4 months,

never used to bother me tbh just had to recycle the ignition.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORTE-DIESEL- ... 4acf978427
nofeeling
Getting There!

Post by nofeeling »

Well it is due a service ,got all genuine VW parts so might as well service it ,can`t do any harm .At least I can get a better look at the turbo etc when I`ve removed the under tray to drain the oil .

The car also isn`t as economical as it used to be ,used to get 80 miles to £10 but its more like 70 now .
nofeeling
Getting There!

Post by nofeeling »

Oil and filters service carried out but that didn,t solve the problem .Checked each wheel and found rear left almost stuck solid ! Recon caliper fitted and things are much better , 90 mile to £10 and top gear acceleration seems to be back to what it once was .
rolo-polo
New

Post by rolo-polo »

nofeeling wrote:Removed and cleaned EGR valve but the car is still playing up . Checked for fault codes and only got an alternator code .Now the car pulls fine except 4th and 5th gear eg 60mph in 5th floor it and its like its a non turbo diesel engine .
I`ve seen some silicon vacuum pipe on ebay ,4m for £6.00 and was thinking of just replacing all the vac pipes ,start with the cheapest then move up .
Anyone think its worth a try or have any suggestions .
please can you tell me where i cn locate this EGR valve? also is a EGR asnd throttle body the same thing? or are they stuck together
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

Thats why at my garage i dont just do bolt on diagnostics lol so many rubbish places about give us a bad name !!!!!!!!!!