Polo 9n3 GTI Headlight bulbs

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
polo steph
New

Polo 9n3 GTI Headlight bulbs

Post by polo steph »

Hi guys!

My bulbs in my GTI seem to be pretty pants so Im looking to upgrade them to something with a bit more guts, especially now its winter. Can anyone tell me what bulbs I will need to order and how hard they are to change over. Any recomendations on bulbs too would be great, nothing too pricey though please! Thanks :)
Simon90
Silver Member

Re: Polo 9n3 GTI Headlight bulbs

Post by Simon90 »

I brought my mum some Phillips extreme h7 bulbs, and she said there 100% better than her ones she had in her BMW X3,

same bulb fitment but there abit pricey to buy at £23 off ebay

hope this helps
polo steph
New

Post by polo steph »

Thanks for your reply! Do you know if they were hard to fit?

I don't mind paying £20 odd for a decent buld if it means I can see where I am going lol!
andyc315
Bronze Member

Post by andyc315 »

osram nightbreakers are meant to be very good also!

no idea on fitting though
GTi_Red
Silver Member

Post by GTi_Red »

Get some 90w instead of 55w
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.9 Tdi Sport

Post by polo1.9TDI SPORT »

I run night breakers in main beam and fogs - you can definitely see a massive improvement.

A lot of people flash me thinking i have full beam on, only to be surprised when i flash back!!

Defo worth it though, you can see a lot more!
Dom_
Silver Member

Post by Dom_ »

Fitting takes all of 30 seconds if you know what you are doing
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

GTi_Red wrote:Get some 90w instead of 55w
You are having a laugh are you not, that is completely illegal for road use and could cause damage to the headlight fitting and wiring.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Simon90 wrote:I brought my mum some Phillips extreme h7 bulbs, and she said there 100% better than her ones she had in her BMW X3,

same bulb fitment but there abit pricey to buy at £23 off ebay

hope this helps
I fitted them to my wife's 2003MY Polo about 10 years ago, and they last maybe 3 or 4 years which is okay considering the extra light output.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

polo1.9TDI SPORT wrote:I run night breakers in main beam and fogs - you can definitely see a massive improvement.

A lot of people flash me thinking i have full beam on, only to be surprised when i flash back!!

I'd reckon that either you have not fitted them in correctly or something else is causing your lights to be misaligned, pay up and get them sorted as blinding others and knowing that you are doing it is not clever at all.
GTi_Red
Silver Member

Post by GTi_Red »

RUM4MO wrote:
You are having a laugh are you not, that is completely illegal for road use and could cause damage to the headlight fitting and wiring.
Less illigal compared to hid without a projector lense, they still keep the beam pattern and don't point to the sky. As for car electrics they are still a 12 volt bulb so work perfectly fine and dont heat up enough to cause any damage to the metal housing
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

GTi_Red wrote:
RUM4MO wrote:
Less illigal compared to hid without a projector lense, they still keep the beam pattern and don't point to the sky. As for car electrics they are still a 12 volt bulb so work perfectly fine and dont heat up enough to cause any damage to the metal housing
Two issues, with that "still 12 volt bulb" - correct, but how do you think the drawn current differs - 90 watts is the electrical power consumed by that bulb, so that means 7.5 amps instead of 4.6 amps for the 55 watt bulbs. Now that might not immediately cause any fuses to blow or wiring to overheat, but all the wiring and relays will have been designed to safely handle 55 watts, in the event of a fire your insurance company might just walk away. The main issue as far as damaging the headlight assembly will typically not be the metal parts, but the plastic lens.

Fitting uprated 55 watt bulbs that have the correct approval is a better solution, while they will dump a bit more heat as they run a bit hotter, this will be a lot less than a 90 watt bulb.

Wife's car with the super white extra output Philips Extreme Plus does not get flashed by other road users - I don't disagree about your comments about HIDs fitted into reflectors though.
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

RUM4MO wrote:
polo1.9TDI SPORT wrote:I run night breakers in main beam and fogs - you can definitely see a massive improvement.

I'd reckon that either you have not fitted them in correctly or something else is causing your lights to be misaligned, pay up and get them sorted as blinding others and knowing that you are doing it is not clever at all.
I'll second that,I'm completely fed up with Numpties who don't know what they're doing and don't give a damn..

John :wink:
polo1.9TDI SPORT
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 1.9 Tdi Sport

Post by polo1.9TDI SPORT »

I'd reckon that either you have not fitted them in correctly or something else is causing your lights to be misaligned, pay up and get them sorted as blinding others and knowing that you are doing it is not clever at all.[/quote]

Got my garage to fit em and MOT the car. the are aligned properly, im not having poor vision on the road. plus so many cars these days have a blue/pink tinge bulb which is wayyyyy brighter than mine,
Didnt say it was clever, but as they are legal and fitted correctly cant do anything about than change the bulbs back.
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

Sorry mate but...

"A lot of people flash me thinking i have full beam on"

maybe there is a problem??.....

People don't flash me driving at night??

John :wink: