GTi Poor Fuel Economy

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
blazeguarder
Gold Member

GTi Poor Fuel Economy

Post by blazeguarder »

Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me a birt of advice on some recent issues I've been having with poor fuel economy on my GTi. I've gone from getting around 400 miles from a tank on the motorway to about 250ish. Worse in town. Unmodified engine.

No warning lights on the dash and the only fault code is an intermittently faulty N80 valve. I've replaced this and the fault is gone but still the problems remain. Having done a few tests with VCDS the MAF seems to be OK and the engine isn't running hot so I don't think its an issue with the thermostat/coolant temperature sensor either.

It's getting to the point where I'm running out of ideas as to what it could be and I don't really want to start randomly replacing things in the hope of fixing it... Has anyone had anything similar/got any suggestions?

Cheers in advance
gti-joe
Silver Member
Drives: 6c Polo Blue GT

Re: GTi Poor Fuel Economy

Post by gti-joe »

Check that you don't have a seized break calliper and that all wheels turn freely when the brakes are not applied. Had this on my car and fuel economy plummeted.
Dom_
Silver Member

Post by Dom_ »

Tyre pressures? Recently serviced, filters etc? Does it smell rich as it it's burning more fuel?
whitegtipolo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by whitegtipolo »

I'd replace the temp sensor bud cheap and easy to do failing that could be 02 sensor
ryanday91
Bronze Member

Post by ryanday91 »

Wish I got 250 miles from a tank:)
ro_GTI
New
Drives: 9N3 Polo GTI

Post by ro_GTI »

Hey, just had this exact same problem. Did you find a resolution?