Hard to drive

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
silver9n3
Getting There!
Drives: 9n3

Hard to drive

Post by silver9n3 »

Hi all, first time post here!

I'm 17 and nearing the end of my lessons, driving my instructors car (a 1.4 corsa) very easily.

I got my 9n3 (1.2, 2005) last week and am finding it really hard to drive in comparison.

I can't just edge forward slowly on the clutch without constant juddering as if it's about to stall, and pulling away sees the car lurch slightly most of the time.

Overall I'm just finding it much harder to drive, and my instructor said Polos and Golfs are known for this?

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this or anything I can do to help?

Thanks!
perarduapropatria
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 (61) Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Re: Hard to drive

Post by perarduapropatria »

silver9n3 wrote:Hi all, first time post here!

I'm 17 and nearing the end of my lessons, driving my instructors car (a 1.4 corsa) very easily.

I got my 9n3 (1.2, 2005) last week and am finding it really hard to drive in comparison.

I can't just edge forward slowly on the clutch without constant juddering as if it's about to stall, and pulling away sees the car lurch slightly most of the time.

Overall I'm just finding it much harder to drive, and my instructor said Polos and Golfs are known for this?

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this or anything I can do to help?

Thanks!
Sounds like the clutch is slipping, or that the clutch judder means it could be needing replacement.

- When was the clutch last changed - has it ever been changed?
- What's the mileage on the car?
- Does it do the same thing when it's been running for a while, or just when it's cold?
- Does it do the same thing in reverse? i.e. can you gently edge backwards or does it do the same thing?
Last edited by perarduapropatria on Mon May 18, 2015 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

Hi mate,

It's an 05 plate facelift version with 70k on the clock.

I don't think the clutch has been changed.

When pulling away the revs do seem to go through the roof, but then again that could be me?

I'm not too sure, but I drive the corsa so smoothly without thinking about it which makes me wonder.

Cheers!
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

silver9n3 wrote:Hi mate,

It's an 05 plate facelift version with 70k on the clock.

I don't think the clutch has been changed.

When pulling away the revs do seem to go through the roof, but then again that could be me?

I'm not too sure, but I drive the corsa so smoothly without thinking about it which makes me wonder.

Cheers!
Sorry, I added a few other questions:

- Does it do the same thing when it's been running for a while, or just when it's cold?
- Does it do the same thing in reverse? i.e. can you gently edge backwards or does it do the same thing?
- If you hold it on the bite in first or reverse, does the car feel like it's juddering backwards and forwards rather than just vibrating?

Jim
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

I don't really notice it as much once it's been running as I kind of get in the flow of it, but it definitely does still happen.

Does the exact same in reverse, if not worse. I normally just use the clutch and brake but if I do this it judders.

It does judder on the bite, not a normal creep/vibrate.

Thanks!
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

silver9n3 wrote:I don't really notice it as much once it's been running as I kind of get in the flow of it, but it definitely does still happen.

Does the exact same in reverse, if not worse. I normally just use the clutch and brake but if I do this it judders.

It does judder on the bite, not a normal creep/vibrate.

Thanks!
Best start saving for a new clutch... :(
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

You reckon its definately the clutch slipping and not my driving? + :cry:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Get someone else to drive it and see what they think :)
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

alexperkins wrote:Get someone else to drive it and see what they think :)
Yeah mate probably a good idea, my Dad is pretty good with cars etc so will get him to check it out.

Cheers!
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

Let us know how you get on, buddy.

Jim
silver9n3
Getting There!

Post by silver9n3 »

perarduapropatria wrote:Let us know how you get on, buddy.

Jim
Will do mate, thanks a lot for your help!
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

silver9n3 wrote:
perarduapropatria wrote:Let us know how you get on, buddy.

Jim
Will do mate, thanks a lot for your help!
No dramas. Not good news if you need a new clutch.

I took our A6 for a service and the guys muttered something about "the bite being high". I hadn't noticed. £799 for a replacement - just had the timing belt changed, service done and the brake fluid replaced. £637 all in at Leicester Audi - which I thought was good price for a main dealer.

The clutch can wait. The Polo has hit 58k and so I need to get that timing belt done now...

Jim
libb22ya
New
Drives: 6C

Post by libb22ya »

Mine's an automatic, so I don't know if its the same problem. When I'm stopped my foot will on the brake pedal. When I come to go again, if I lift my foot off the pedal, nothing will happen for a second as the engine seems to switch itself off and have a sleep. If I then transfer my foot too quickly to the accelerator pedal AND the engine comes to life at the same time, then the car will jump forward. Is this your lurch/shudder ?
Best to wait that second, I know it seems a long time, and other cars will beep you.

Doing this in reverse is even worse, as you are generally doing something like parking in a tight space, and the car's normal speed reversing even with no acceleration is too fast.
perarduapropatria
Getting There!

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!

Last edited by perarduapropatria on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Not only is your car an auto, but it is an 6C Polo with Stop/Start, so the engine will, under many circumstances, switch off when you come to a stand still!