Spare wheel question

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
oldredpolo1990
New
Drives: saloon

Spare wheel question

Post by oldredpolo1990 »

hyperthetical question - if you trashed the wheel and you have no spare, what do you do? do they even come with a jack?
Tony Boi 92
Silver Member

Re: Spare wheel question

Post by Tony Boi 92 »

You phone recovery? Im confused at your question.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Right, so you are asking the question as you are someone that has bought a car and that car did not come with a spare wheel etc when new:- find out exactly what wheel changing equipment you do have in the car, then by visiting a scrappy make that list up to being - a spare wheel of the correct size, width, offset and diameter with a suitable tyre fitted + a car jack + a wheel brace + trim remover/wheel centre remover/wheel bolt trim remover + storage box that fits inside the spare wheel complete with its securing screw. A small bonus part would be a plastic wheel fitting aid - ie a long plastic peg that has a thread at one end, they were supplied with B5 Passat and a few other cars, they make locating the wheel on the hub easier.

I'd think that if you simply bought the spare wheel and kit from a scrappy, all you would need should be in that box - but remember wheel width/offset and diameter.
oldredpolo1990
New
Drives: saloon

Post by oldredpolo1990 »

Really sorry I should have pointed out its a DUNE model with the big alloys.........
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

oldredpolo1990 wrote:Really sorry I should have pointed out its a DUNE model with the big alloys.........
Maybe try looking for wheel sizes etc in this VAG spares cat

http://www.parts-catalogs.info/
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Alloy size doesn't matter. As long as the rolling radius matches

My Tiguan has a 19" space saver and it's only 3" wide!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I was guessing rightly or wrongly that the OP was trying to get hold of a suitable steel wheel(fullish or space saver size) for a spare, and in doing so getting one that either breakdown operators would be happy to fit or police/insurance would accept as being suitable.

I've never bothered to work out if the supplied proper narrow space savers are picked to be suitable to "that" model of car, ie ET chosen to place the centre of the tyre where the full sized road wheel would have been - along with rolling radius.

I also do not know the size of the alloys fitted to Dune, knowing that might help to home in on a fullish sized steel spare from another Polo model, some Polo models got a 15" steel space (late 2002 SE ones did anyway) - though I'd suppose anything from 14" upwards would clear the front brakes.

Ask VW UK directly what was suitable or ask your local VW dealer, they should still be able to get that info.