Tyre recommends?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
TRG60Y
New
Drives: Polo 1.8GTI

Tyre recommends?

Post by TRG60Y »

Hello!
Bought a black 08 GTI, so no longer lurking, start posting.

Car is in great shape but crap old tyres, so I'm looking for recommends...

Dont mind buying decent ones; dunlop, hankook, goodyear, michelin but wondered what you guys had run and approved of?

Car has the original monza wheels and is a daily driver...so no track tyre recommends please!
8)
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Re: Tyre recommends?

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I seem to hear a lot about the guys with GTI running Pirelli P Zero and as they have an almost flawless rating on most sites I would think they are decent. I have Dunlop Sport Maxx on my Blue GT and they have been ok but I'm looking at Pirelli and would like input from anyone who has had/has these.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3 are excellent
Hennerzz
New
Drives: 9N3 GTI Shadow Blue

Post by Hennerzz »

alexperkins wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 am Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 3 are excellent
Basically the same as what I run except mine are still the 2's
Teutonic_Tamer
New
Drives: Polo 9N3 1.4 TDI 5dr with half a V6 :p

Post by Teutonic_Tamer »

PoloBlueGT wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:00 pm I seem to hear a lot about the guys with GTI running Pirelli P Zero and as they have an almost flawless rating on most sites I would think they are decent. I have Dunlop Sport Maxx on my Blue GT and they have been ok but I'm looking at Pirelli and would like input from anyone who has had/has these.
Pirelli P Zero are awful tyres. Dunlop Shyte Maxx are little better. The absolute best tyres are Michelin, but you have to pay for the privilege of excellence!

The crucial issue to be clarified when recommending tyres is how will the car be driven?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Teutonic_Tamer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:40 pm
PoloBlueGT wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:00 pm I seem to hear a lot about the guys with GTI running Pirelli P Zero and as they have an almost flawless rating on most sites I would think they are decent. I have Dunlop Sport Maxx on my Blue GT and they have been ok but I'm looking at Pirelli and would like input from anyone who has had/has these.
Pirelli P Zero are awful tyres. Dunlop Shyte Maxx are little better. The absolute best tyres are Michelin, but you have to pay for the privilege of excellence!

The crucial issue to be clarified when recommending tyres is how will the car be driven?
I think that you really need to consider how/where you are going to use tyres, Michelin I accept are a very good design/manufcaturer of tyres, but that goes for nothing when they happily develop what most people would call "all year round" tyres, ie "standard" version of tyres as fitted to many cars new and of many marques - and these tyres are absolutely down right dangerous to use in winter conditions, then you have to step back and consider what games are they really up to - even my Michelin tyre supplier said to me once "I hope that you don't plan to use these in winter" - unfortunately I had already discovered that and that was why I started fitting winter specific tyres from start of November until ennd of April. This developing "normal" tyres to the point where they only worked well for 6 months of the year, well at least in Northern Scotland, and large areas of Northern Europe, is not good for a car market that does not recognise the possible need to use winter tyres in colder weather, many other "big name" tyre design/manufacturers have retained a reasonable level of "safe to use wisely in winter" ability in their tyres.

Audi specified Pirelli P Zero Rosso as factory fit to B8 S4 and I still use them in summer with no problems, they do not have the mileage in them that Michelin would have I suspect, but that does not bother me, where/when needed they work well from May until end of October.