Steering rack replacement.

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Gaz1988
New
Drives: 2008 1.4 16v 9n3

Steering rack replacement.

Post by Gaz1988 »

Hello

I've been having trouble with clunks/bangs when driving and I've finally solved the problem(I hope). I beleive the issue to the the steering rack and possibly the mounts. My steering is sloppy and out of alignment and also has the exact same clunks/bangs as shown in this YouTube video of the same model of Polo I have: https://youtu.be/wPp43mnwsrc

The above video is not my own but it's the same model of Polo and the noises are pretty much exactly the same when rocking the steering wheel.

Anyway, has anyone ever changed the rack over on the 9n3? Is it mounted to the subframe using bolts or is it mounted using bolts and a bracket? If so, does that bracket use a rubber bush? I'd be looking to buy these replacement parts if needed but have no idea where to buy them, any help/info/pointers would be much appreciated as I really need this issue sorted.

Thanks all.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Steering rack replacement.

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm assuming that you have checked for free movement on the TRE and the track rod inner joint/swivel? If not I'd start there as the inner (sealed) ball joint does wear and cause a similar problem, and they are easy to replace - typically you would buy a complete TRE + locking nut + track rod, from ECP as that is a lot cheaper than what VW would charge.

Edit:- other things that can cause that noise when turning the wheel is partially seized top mount bearings, though that would not cause alignment or steering free movement.

Another Edit:- worn ARB bushes and drop links can also cause these noises.