Heater / air con issue (after replacing heater resistor)

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Tomrobins
New
Drives: 57 plate polo

Heater / air con issue (after replacing heater resistor)

Post by Tomrobins »

Hi guys.
So the polo is a 57plate. The heater stopped working on 1,2&3. Would only work on 4, air con was the same (would only work on fan speed 4). I read on this forum to change resistor on top of the fan, so I took out the glovebox, changed the resistor, all was fine again, everything worked 100%
Now 3 weeks later it's gone back to the same issues I had before. So I took the resistor out and put the multimeter on it, it's working fine.
So my question is what else could it be causing the same issue of the heater resistor is ok??
Cheers. Tom
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Heater / air con issue (after replacing heater resistor)

Post by RUM4MO »

The first question I will ask is, did you buy a genuine VW Group replacement resistor pack (hedgehog) or did you buy a "lookie likie" from ebay?

If you did buy a genuine one, maybe you need to remove the fan motor and check its brushes to make sure that they are now not too short and/or sticking in their guides as well as the commutator needing cleaned up, also check that the bearings are still okay.

If you have saved a bit of money and bought a "lookie likie" ebay special, then maybe that is your new problem, ie duff replacement despite what you think that your DMM is telling you?