After market radio

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
poosemon
New
Drives: Polo 9n3 Sport Tdi 130

Re: After market radio

Post by poosemon »

Thinking of getting a DAB unit whilst I'm replacing the radio. Rather then window adaptors and new aerial runs have seen this product on ebay;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2942255750

Anyone had any experience with it? Its a splitter for the standard aerial however does specify it is compatible with the amplified aerial in the 9n3
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

That should do what you want 8)
Shan_lee11
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by Shan_lee11 »

bvs wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm We have an old Sony explode in our 9n,with a handy little cubby underneath :)
I cannot remember if I bought online or just popped into Halfords for it.
Honest M'lud - I did not do most of the damage on the dash - well it is an 02 car LOL

Hi guys so this is what I want my stereo as I'm replacing the factory to an after market single din. What case would I need to fit the single din stereo. As I've been hunting for and getting no where or not finding the right shape. Anyone know?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Nothing additional. You already have the shelf

It’s just a standard single din radio you need and the appropriate lo adapter if necessary

If you don’t have the shelf you just need a universal single din shelf from eBay or amazon
Shan_lee11
New

Post by Shan_lee11 »

I have the original double din stereo which I'm trying to convert to the single din. Just need to find the correct case to fit in but I can't find it anywhere. Or one that fits my cars model. Which one is the correct one?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

As I’ve said above, you need a universal single din pocket to fill the void then the cage for the new radio will just fit. Nothing specific to the car is needed apart from the pocket the radio and the loom adapter
Shan_lee11
New

Post by Shan_lee11 »

Would this be the correct case?
Attachments
Screenshot_20200301-215352_eBay.jpg
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

All you need is this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1852608370

The opening is a standard DIN size so doesn’t need converting for the radio itself
PugBrothers
Getting There!
Drives: Mk7 (9n3) 1.4Tdi Bluemotion 1

Post by PugBrothers »

Hi All, if you check out some of my old posts I link to a bunch of adapters that work without the need to solder or do anything at all to your fuse box. It’s just plug and play. Couldn’t be easier and it means the dimmer works when you turn your headlights on too. It’s expensive (you can get them for around £45) but so much better than the hassle and potentially less than the cost if it goes a bit wrong.

Double din wise, a 7 inch head unit looks great. I got a Pioneer SPH 230DAB and that fits lovely. I skipped installing the dab aerial because there just isn’t a good enough signal where I am, but installation is a doddle.

Give me a shout if you have any questions. It’s really tricky getting your head around this stuff if you’re like me and a bit new to it all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rooster
New
Drives: 2006 1.2 3dr

Post by Rooster »

I’ve read most of the radio threads on here and successfully fitted my single DIN Sony head unit. My only question is, if fitting piggy back fuses to the fuse box to run an illumination and switched live circuits, which fuses would you recommend? At present I’m using wipers and headlight circuit (with wire jammed in - bad drills I know) which makes it work but is just giving me a permanent live - any ideas or suggestions welcome
Rooster
New

Post by Rooster »

Anyone able to help?
PugBrothers
Getting There!
Drives: Mk7 (9n3) 1.4Tdi Bluemotion 1

Post by PugBrothers »

The cigarette lighter is probably your best bet on the fuse front. If you have a multimeter, see which fuses give a strong current when the key is turned on and you’d be fine using any of those.

This is a fuse box diagram for the 9n and they’re just about the same - https://fusesdiagram.com/volkswagen/fus ... lo-9n.html

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rooster
New

Post by Rooster »

Cheers I’ll give that a go as the loom and piggy back holders arrived during the week. I think the multimeter is a good shout as it’ll show which ones are switched and constant
Callum2828
New
Drives: 9n

Post by Callum2828 »

So I’ve been trying to convert this original double din unit to a single din radio with storage, I brought a blank storage holder to go below which ended up not supporting the radio due to the angle of it so I have purchased another one hoping other it keeps the radio secure and at the right angle and also fills the gaps however it doesn’t I’ve attached photos but I’m unsure what I can do as the radio is single din this storage box is labelled as single din and there is still a 1cm gap at the top

Any help is greatly appreciated,

https://i.imgur.com/3Veq0nM_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

That’s not a single din box. That’s something in between

Celsus AFC5050 Fascia Universal DIN Sized Pocket/ Storage Area https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004V89AOE/ ... MEbWC28ZJ2 That’s what you want