Looking to replace front speakers and fit new rear ones

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
SamJRogers
New
Drives: Polo 2008 TDI Bluemotion 1.4

Looking to replace front speakers and fit new rear ones

Post by SamJRogers »

Hi all,

After successfully replacing the RCD200 radio for the Alpine CDE-W235BT, my next 'project' is to replace the existing factory fit front door speakers and also fit new rear door speakers.

I've picked out some Alpine speakers from Ebay, £98 for 4. They also come with the mounting rings and say they fit the Polo in my year.

I wondered if I could see if any of you are experienced with this and if you have any particular tips about how to go about this please? I'm guessing the biggest job will probably be threading the speaker wire through to the rear doors?

Thanks in advance...
SamJRogers
New

Re: Looking to replace front speakers and fit new rear ones

Post by SamJRogers »

Well spent the weekend fitting these, all went very well.
Matt1011
New
Drives: Polo 9N2 (2007) Black, 3 door

Post by Matt1011 »

Hello,

I am in the same scenario as yourself only a few days later. I was wondering if you could give some insight from your experience as I have a couple of questions.

I have a 2007 3 door polo, and I believe this is the same as yours (perhaps mine is the 9n2 and yours is 9n3). I have 4 new 6.5" speakers and a new alpine single din head unit on the way, with all fascias/ fitting accessories.

I was wondering about the following:
1. What did you choose to do with regard to wiring for rear speakers (my main concern)- did you run the rear right across under the rear seats and then down the left hand side under the plastic fitments to the front? (Along with the left rear speakers' wiring). I'm wondering what the best way to do this is/ what you found worked well.
2. How did you wire the new rear speakers to the head unit- I'm really hoping the main wiring loom does have unconnected wiring which would normally be used for models which include rear speakers. Otherwise this could be trickier.
3. Did you find that all four speakers are indeed 17cm/ 6.5''? I understand this is the case.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
SamJRogers
New

Post by SamJRogers »

Hi Matt,

yes mines a 9n3, but i'm sure the same. In regards to your questions, i've answered them as best as I can below:

1. What did you choose to do with regard to wiring for rear speakers (my main concern)- did you run the rear right across under the rear seats and then down the left hand side under the plastic fitments to the front? (Along with the left rear speakers' wiring). I'm wondering what the best way to do this is/ what you found worked well.

This was initially my biggest concern too, but it turned out to be much easier than I thought. We first fitted the speakers, there was just some sponge covering the holes and these also had places for the screws. Once the speaker was fitted, I traced the new wire through the doors rubber wire gasket (sorry I don't know the proper name for this, its the rubber thing that all the wiring to the door goes through). This was the hardest part as there wasn't much room for a new wire and took a bit of fiddling before I managed to get it all the way through. Then the wire went underneath the front door sill and into the front dashboard, I then traced this up behind the dashboard and into the back of the stereo. The speakers I got from Ebay also had connectors, which I soldered to the wire so I got a good fit onto the speaker connections.

2. How did you wire the new rear speakers to the head unit- I'm really hoping the main wiring loom does have unconnected wiring which would normally be used for models which include rear speakers. Otherwise this could be trickier.

Exactly as you said. The wiring loom I got to connect the stereo to the car already had the wires needed for rear speakers, the colours were violet and violet and black and green and green and black. The wiring diagram on top of the stereo helped too. I simply cut these and joined them to the speaker wire.

3. Did you find that all four speakers are indeed 17cm/ 6.5''? I understand this is the case.

Yes all speakers were 6.5", and the Alpine ones had many cut outs where they fitted perfectly with the screws in the speaker mounts. One thing to be aware of is that you do need to get speaker mounts for the new speakers and if possible new speaker wiring connectors. These all came with the speaker I got. The old speakers were held on place with rivets, so you have to drill these out. Once done the new speaker screws fitted in the holes perfectly.

Also take a look at this thread - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=55879 This helped me a lot when I was planning the fitment, I got the wiring loom (PC2-75-4) they mentioned and didn't have to worry about cutting any wires for the stereo to fit (apart from the new speakers)

Good luck!
Matt1011
New
Drives: Polo 9N2 (2007) Black, 3 door

Post by Matt1011 »

Thanks very much for your response. This makes sense.

Relieved to know the wiring loom does include the additional wiring as you would expect, and thanks for outlining the colours. I do have the wiring adaptor you referred to, as well as the speaker connection adapter (only for the front speakers due to no wiring existing for the rears), and also four speaker fascias.

Will let you know how I get on when it's sorted! Cheers