Single Click When Breaking - SOLVED

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Lester
Getting There!
Drives: 2008 Polo 9N3 1.4 BUD

Single Click When Breaking - SOLVED

Post by Lester »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so please let me know if I make mistakes while posting. Great to find this lively forum. My Polo 9N3 started making a click when I am applying breaks. This started about a week ago. I did a search and some people say that this could be the front break pads moving forward when breaking. I found out today that if I slowly apply the breaks, there is no click. Based on this, I am assuming that the click is produced when the pad hits the rotor. There is probably a big space between the break pad and rotor when the piston retracts and applying breaks suddenly pushes the pad towards the rotor making this sound. I have already ordered new break pads but still waiting for some stuff I need to get started. Has anyone had a similar experience about this single click when breaking?

Lester
Last edited by Lester on Sat May 05, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Single Click When Breaking

Post by alexperkins »

Its probably the pads sticking in the carrier. Be sure to use copper grease on the backing pad and edges (not the friction surface) when refitting the new pads and clean the carrier up appropriately.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I was thinking when I read this this morning, that it might be the brake light switch mounted on the brake pedal that you are hearing, that is if you are not sure where the noise is coming from. The other reason I thought it might be that switch was that you said that if the brakes are applied slowly you don't hear this noise - but I can easily understand that if these brakes have not been serviced and like us you are moving out of Winter into Spring time, so maybe as Alex has suggested, it is just the pads sticking in the calliper carrier so they just need removing cleaning etc.
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

alexperkins wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:20 am Its probably the pads sticking in the carrier. Be sure to use copper grease on the backing pad and edges (not the friction surface) when refitting the new pads and clean the carrier up appropriately.
Thank you, Alex. I already have the copper grease but still waiting for the silicon grease for the caliper pins. I will let you know if the click disappears after replacing the break pads.
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:41 pm I was thinking when I read this this morning, that it might be the brake light switch mounted on the brake pedal that you are hearing, that is if you are not sure where the noise is coming from. The other reason I thought it might be that switch was that you said that if the brakes are applied slowly you don't hear this noise - but I can easily understand that if these brakes have not been serviced and like us you are moving out of Winter into Spring time, so maybe as Alex has suggested, it is just the pads sticking in the calliper carrier so they just need removing cleaning etc.
Hi RUM4MO, if it was the break light switch the sound would be softer. It sounds very metallic. Will update this thread after I have replaced the break pads. Thank you for replying. :)
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

I have replaced the front break pads and the click disappeared! Used a wire brush to clean the caliper especially the part where the pad slides and contacts with the caliper. Used copper grease to lubricate those parts and the back side of the break pads. Also cleaned the caliper pins and lubricated them with silicon grease. Thank you all for your suggestions. Problem solved! :D

Lester