Front Breakpads Without Sensor

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Lester
Getting There!
Drives: 2008 Polo 9N3 1.4 BUD

Front Breakpads Without Sensor

Post by Lester »

Hi Everyone,

I recently replaced the front breakpads on my VW Polo. The new ones I ordered have a wire which I know is the sensor. See the image below.
New Breakpads
New Breakpads
When I went on to replace the old ones (original VW pads), I didn't find a wire attached to any of them. See the image below.
Old Breakpads
Old Breakpads
I now have these questions in my mind.
1. How come the original VW pads do not have a wire/sensor?
2. If I didn't connect the sensor, how will I be alerted when it is time to change the pads? Just by regular inspection and tracking the mileage on your car?
3. Could it be possible that Comfortline models do not have sensors?

Hope someone can shed some light. Thank you.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Front Breakpads Without Sensor

Post by RUM4MO »

All I can suggest is to ask the official importer of VW cars into Japan about this.

The reason why I am suggesting this is, some functions are required by law in certain sales territories and some others will be offered to the VW importer for any single area in the world and it be up to them if they want some trim levels of a car to have for instance brake wear indicating system fitted as standard or offered as an option.

Now, another reason for this car not having brake wear indicating system might be that the previous owner has deleted that function by re-coding the car and cutting the car side of that cable off.
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:14 pm All I can suggest is to ask the official importer of VW cars into Japan about this.

The reason why I am suggesting this is, some functions are required by law in certain sales territories and some others will be offered to the VW importer for any single area in the world and it be up to them if they want some trim levels of a car to have for instance brake wear indicating system fitted as standard or offered as an option.

Now, another reason for this car not having brake wear indicating system might be that the previous owner has deleted that function by re-coding the car and cutting the car side of that cable off.
Hi RUM4MO,

Thank you for your suggestions. I haven’t really called VW and I’m hesitant to do so unless I have a big problem. =) I’ve heard that 1mm of breakpad material is consumed every 10,000km. If this is correct and breakpads should be replaced after 4mm is consumed then I don’t really have to worry about this until 40,000km is added to my odometer. I am happy just to hear what other users experience when replacing their breakpads.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

From your pictures, I am guessing that that Polo had already had its front brake pads replaced as the manufacturer's name on the back of the old pads is not one that VW fit at factory.

The brake pads life in service will depend on how you use the car and the brakes, if you can see the pads through holes in the wheels you should be able to see when they are worn down too far.
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

RUM4MO wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:08 pm From your pictures, I am guessing that that Polo had already had its front brake pads replaced as the manufacturer's name on the back of the old pads is not one that VW fit at factory.

The brake pads life in service will depend on how you use the car and the brakes, if you can see the pads through holes in the wheels you should be able to see when they are worn down too far.
Hi RUM4MO, I already have more than 90,000 km on my odometer so the front break pads have definitely been replaced. Yes, I can see the breakpads through the holes in the wheel hub and that is a quick way to check. Next time I remove the front wheels, I will inspect and see if there is a socket for the sensor. Thank you for your comments. :)