Very weird issue with electric windows

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
DanP82
New
Drives: 9n3 1.4

Very weird issue with electric windows

Post by DanP82 »

I've got a very weird problem with the electric windows in my 06 1.4.

The windows have not been working for months and I finally had an auto electrician take a look today. He ran the diagnostic and no issues with the windows had been logged. However, the system was stating that no windows were installed! The code was wrong so he changed it but still the windows remained dead. He said it could be a fault with the central control module which I wasn't keen on replacing due to potential cost and no guarantees it would solve things.

Anyway, after he left, I tried removing and then resetting the fuses for windows and, lo and behold, they both decided to work. Now this has happened a few times in the past, for some reasons removing and then re-inserting the fuses seems to reboot the windows and they work again, albeit temporarily. I called the electrician back and he is totally baffled by it. As of writing this, the windows are still working but i'm pretty sure they are likely to die again at any time. It is obviously not a mechanical or electrical fault as the windows work perfectly, it is an issue with the computer/software being temperamental.

I just wondered if anyone on here has any ideas what is causing this strange issue with resetting the fuses? And also why the VCDS code for the windows would seemingly change itself without any intervention. I've had to just leave the fuse board cover off and hope that the remove/re-insert method continues to work if they happen to die again. Not ideal as you can imagine.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Very weird issue with electric window

Post by RUM4MO »

I suppose a first question is “did all the fitted modules show up in VCDS?” What I am meaning is, is a control module is faulty, VCDS etc can not always talk to it, so no fault codes will get logged, the assumption being that that control module is not fitted to that car.
This is probably where the smart VCDS owner scans a new car car so that he/she knows which modules are fitted to it and what the initial coding is - for future referance/use, pity Vw do not hand out a copy of that with every new car?
Edit:- I have sort of been there done that on my old Passat, I sold it 5 years ago but still seem to get asked to look at it when problems like this happen though typically I don’t see the car for a year after the first incidence of failures which has meant that the convenience module or whatever it was called in the 2000 Passat is now not visible to VCDS - so the advice I offered its new owner, sort of a friend, is to check all the wiring, and that will never ever get started people only expect to stuff VCDS onto a car and read the fault codes and the list of all possible sources of trouble, that does not work too well at times, it needs some deep first principle good old fashioned fault finding - and that can take a lot of time.