Duplicating Car Key and Remote

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Lester
Getting There!
Drives: 2008 Polo 9N3 1.4 BUD

Duplicating Car Key and Remote

Post by Lester »

Hi Folks,

I only have one key/remote for my Polo 9N3. I know where to get a blank key but I don't know yet where to take it to have it duplicated. My question is about the remote. I know where to buy a used Polo remote from another car of the same model but my question is, can I reprogram it using the technique below? Or do I have to buy a new FOB remote to do this.
https://youtu.be/4CJdGCTaW8Q

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Lester
Getting There!

Re: Duplicating Car Key and Remote

Post by Lester »

Looks like it is possible to reprogram a used remote.
https://www.yourmechanic.com/question/i ... drevonte-s

Has anyone tried this before?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that if the new remote has the same frequency (range?) as the original, then making it work with your car is possible, it is only the security transponder chip that once programmed for one car can not be reprogrammed for another car.
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

Hi RUM4MO,

Thank you for responding. I am planning to buy a used remote for a Polo of the same model/engine (9NBUD) so I’m assuming that it will have the same frequency as my current remote. I will let you know if it will work.

As for the transponder chip, is this the same as the immobilizer chip? If it is, the guy below shows how to adapt the immobilizer chip with your Polo but you need to know the PIN and you need a cable and VCDS. What do you think?
https://youtu.be/htyjuktXyPc
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that the "frequency range" for the remote lock/unlock part depends on the area of the world that the car is sold into, so take care where you buy the used remote from - it will be due to local radio frequency regulations I'd guess.

I have never ever coded a new or used immobiliser transponder, but it has been written many times on the internet that a previously coded transponder can not be recoded. New immobiliser "pellets" are quite cheap and there are quite a lot of different ones, so getting the correct version is again very important.

I've never ever tried to extract the PIN from a VW Group dash pod, so I can't comment on that, though it does seem to be very easy using VAG Commander and some other tools.

Good Luck!

Edit:- what seems to happen in places like Europe is, when someone sells a car, or hands back a company car, they keep the second key then buy a new blank to replace the original cut key, then sell that key as being new and unused, but because the immob transponder has been coded previously, the key can not be recoded to the next car without you replacing the immob transponder chip/pellet.
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

Thank you for the advice RUM4MO. I will be purchasing a used key in Japan and for the same engine code as my car so it should have the same frequency.
I am not yet sure if my car is using immo 3 or immo 4. In case it is using immo 4A (with Adaptation), I should be able to use that old chip from the other key. If not, will have to buy a chip somewhere.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer

I just ordered a cable for VAG Commander. Will post later if it works. :)
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

Hi RUM4MO,

I got a blank key cut and an old remote from another Polo 9n3. Followed the instructions from my first post and confirmed that it works! I now have another working remote. :)
Now, I need to work on the immobilizer chip.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

That is good news, I think if you look around the internet you should be able to find the "type/version/model" of the correct immobiliser chip used by VW for that key - then find a seller!
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

My first goal is to get the security access code for my instrument cluster which I believe is VDO so I can access the immobilizer. I got the wrong cable so I am getting another one called VAG K+ CAN Commander 1.4. I hope I can get the code with that one. The RFID chip in the old key that I got might be an immo 4A (with adaptation). If that is the case, I don’t have to buy a new chip. The cable might take more than a week to arrive. Will keep you updated.
gerinemo
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Post by gerinemo »

Please do let us know how you get on :-)
I am interested as I too have a polo 9n3
but my instrument cluster is Magnetti Marelli
Component: KOMBIINSTRUMENT AGD V04

I would be interested to know if Vag com can read the pin as I would also like to have a spare key
Thanks
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

Hi Gerinemo,

I am still waiting for the cable (VAG K CAN Commander 1.4) that I ordered. It's coming from China so it takes some time. :)
Will definitely update this post if I can get my pin and do an adaptation.
If you want a spare key, you can start now by buying a blank and getting it cut. You also need to find another key with remote and follow the procedure from the first post to get the remote re-programmed.
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

Got the VAG Commander 1.4 cable but unable to read the PIN from either ECU or immobilizer unit. I am getting cable version 3.6 this time. Hope that one will work.

My ECU is MARELLI 4HV and instrument cluster is VDO V06.
ecu.png
ecu.png (6.72 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
instrumentcluster.png
instrumentcluster.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
I also bought a transponder chip ID48 because the chip that came with the used key does not seem to be re-programmable. Will update again after two weeks.
Attachments
instrumentcluster.png
instrumentcluster.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
Lester
Getting There!

Post by Lester »

I created a new topic for key learning as it is a broad subject.