Ball Joints - do they look the same on each side?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Jamb0
New
Drives: 2006 (9N3) 1.4 S

Ball Joints - do they look the same on each side?

Post by Jamb0 »

Hi all,

I've just had my 9n3 in for it's MOT, and although it passed and the issue wasn't an advisory, the garage was kind enough to let me know that one of the ball joints was fitted to the incorrect side (it had a control arm replaced about a year before I bought it so I assume this could be where the issue came from).

My question is; is there an obvious difference between each side? Would like to take a look for myself before taking on the job.

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Ball Joints - do they look the same on each side?

Post by RUM4MO »

Before reading this I would have hazarded a guess that both sides were the same part, but I've looked on the parts listing and they are not!

So, if that garage is correct, you should buy a new one for that side - how annoying!

Anyway, if you buy a new correct part, then get under the car and compare what is fitted with what you have just bought, you should be able to work out if it is really wrong.

Edit:- it will probably be down to the relative positioning of the holes for fixing it to the lower arm and the angled ball joint's "lean".
Jamb0
New
Drives: 2006 (9N3) 1.4 S

Post by Jamb0 »

Thanks! Yep I thought they must have had slight differences.

Looks like i'll be replacing them. Luckily not costly, plus it looks to be a fairly easy job and I already have the correct tools...
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Ball joints are generally speaking always sided, as yes RUM, the difference is the mounting points and the angle of the joint relative to the hub