Turning off the lock/unlock 'beep beep'

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
barki
New
Drives: 9n3 GTi

Turning off the lock/unlock 'beep beep'

Post by barki »

Hi all,

I've a '57 Polo GTI :)

I'm usually pretty handy at DIY'ing whatever I need to do but I'm struggling to locate the Siren that sounds (I assume the main alarm siren) when I lock/unlock my car. It's not the type that honks the horn.

I'm looking to either;

- Disconnect the siren completely (so long as that doesnt prevent the central locking from working) or;
- Just silence it partially with some tape of similar so it's not so loud. I can cope with quiet/moderate beep.

At the moment it's earsplittingly loud and I leave for work early in the morning so just trying to do the right thing by my neighbours. It's got the OEM alarm, and the beeps only sounds on lock/unlock one beep/two beeps.

I read it was at the base of the C Pillar in the boot but I pulled the boot lining out earlier and couldnt see it.

I'll have it up on axels next weekend to service it so I thought it'd be a good time to do this if it's mounted underneath somewhere....although I looked about with a torch earlier and I couldn't see it.

Does anybody know where it's hiding?

P.S - I realise you can disable with function with a VAGCOM but I don't have that (only a generic code reader) and no chance am I taking it to a garage to ask!

Thanks very much if anyone knows!! :)

Tom
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Turning off the lock/unlock 'beep beep'

Post by RUM4MO »

Sorry I don't know where it is located, but it will be in a black plastic box along with a PCB and its own rechargeable battery.

So, maybe search Google etc for "replacing alarm battery on VW Polo" - I've not tried that, but there is someone posted on the 6R Polo section about doing this, so maybe that is a starter for 10.

VCDS, there are "VCDS maps for UK" on the internet and it allows you to ask one of your local "VCDS owners" for help - like disabling this lock/unlock beep, which I never had enabled on any of my VW Group cars.
barki
New

Post by barki »

Bump! Does anyone have a clue where this might be located?

Thanks by the way for the description.

If I find it and remove the battery will that disable the
alarm or just the beep?

Cheers v much!
Tom
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It will disable the alarm and the beep. It comes from the same unit

I would think there’s someone near you that has VCDS that’ll resolve this for you

Even software like Carista on a Bluetooth ODB2 dongle can do this - that’s another option.
barki
New

Post by barki »

Cheers v much for the suggestion above I actually have a bluetooth usb dongle but neither the Carista App nor Carly support codings on the 9N3 :-(
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Oh no :( that’s frustrating. Must be 6R onwards then