Removing A Pillar Trim - SOLVED

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Lester
Getting There!
Drives: 2008 Polo 9N3 1.4 BUD

Removing A Pillar Trim - SOLVED

Post by Lester »

Hello,

Having a hard time trying to remove the A pillar trim on my 9N3. Basically, I need to remove old TV antennas, install a DVR, route an ETC and GPS antenna. I broke the airbag clip/cover when I was trying to remove the topmost clip. :(
The topmost clip is the most difficult to remove. I am using trim removal tools but it still won't come off. Any tips or tricks from those who have done this before? Thank you.
Last edited by Lester on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Removing A Pillar Trim

Post by RUM4MO »

I have only ever removed the C pillar cover on my Audi S4, and the advice was to start removing it from the top, and that worked very well with no broken clips.
So, really I can't see why that is not the correct way to remove your A pillar trim as it will end up with the lower end being slightly down below the level of the dashboard.
Lester
Getting There!

Re: Removing A Pillar Trim

Post by Lester »

Hi RUM4MO,

I thought no one replied to my post. It turns out that I just forgot to subscribe so I wasn't getting any email notifications. :)
I have finally removed both A pillar trims but this has cost me a broken airbag clip/cover and the top clip broken. The technique is to use a trim removal tool. Insert it all the way, until the tool squeezes the plastic clip/peg then use tool as a lever to pull the peg out of the pillar. :D Now I have to start looking for replacement parts. :(
pillartrimclip.JPG
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: SOLVED - Removing A Pillar Trim

Post by RUM4MO »

It is never an easy or straightforward job removing clipped on trim on VW Group cars!

Last year I damaged a side inside trim on my 2011 S4, this year I hadn’t off again for another reason and that meant more damage so I bought a new trim piece from Audi, at £35 a bit annoying but it could have been worse, old trim being kept to remind me where the clips are located if I ever find another need to remove these trims.
Lester
Getting There!

Re: SOLVED - Removing A Pillar Trim

Post by Lester »

RUM4MO, I agree with you that it’s not easy to removed pillar trims on VAG cars. Even if you have the workshop manual, not all the steps are mentioned. The manual didn’t even mention about the T20 torx screw that has to be removed.

Grateful that there is a forum like this where we can vent out and share some ideas. :)