Ignition barrel

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
sean.sanders
New

Ignition barrel

Post by sean.sanders »

Hi all,

New to this place, just got a 56 Polo 1.2 Petrol. Today, only once, my key was spinning freely in the ignition for a while, guessing this has been asked before.

After a while it worked fine, but I'm guessing it is a can of worms waiting to happen! Would I need a new barrel, door, boot locks and keys or there an investigative approach I can use first?

Thanks for any help!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Ignition barrel

Post by RUM4MO »

I don't know the correct answer, just some facts, the barrel and switch will be 2 separate parts, if you give enough notice to your dealer by providing something to prove you own that car, they can order in a replacement barrel to your key number/shape, so only one barrel needs replacing, after that I don't have any experience of the actual switch assembly causing that issue. The steering lock, I'm not sure if that is a purely mechanical device or a solenoid device in that car.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... just-spins
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I've just added a link.

Edit:- I just Googe'd "VW Polo 9N3 ignition barrel spinning freely"
1867andy
New
Drives: 1.2l 57 plate

Post by 1867andy »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I have a 57 plate 1.2l polo, and have started having problems starting my car.

When the problem occurs the ignition barrel feels tight, the lights come on on the dashboard but their is no sign of the the engine starting.

I can try this between 2 - 10 times until eventually the key feels free and the engine starts.

I filled a new battery a couple of months ago and this seemed to fix it for a while, but now the problem has returned.

It seems to be worse the colder the weather and have seen on various forums different opinions to the problem from lubrication in the barrel to changing the steering.

Can anybody help?

Thank you.