Handbrake Adjustment following MOT

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Portland Bill
New
Drives: 9N

Handbrake Adjustment following MOT

Post by Portland Bill »

Evening all,

I picked up my Polo from the local MOT station following a Pass with Defects.

I like to try and tick off as much as I can myself, so that I know it's been addressed and shouldn't worsen, but I didn't quite understand what the lad was telling me when he was explaining the problem.

I asked if it was just the lever which needed adjusting, but he said it's not, and that the shoes inside the rear brakes need a spot of weld.

Does this make any sense to any of you, and could anyone elaborate for me?
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Re: Handbrake Adjustment following MOT

Post by Adam_013 »

If I'm right the auto adjusters are known to be crap! If you take the wheel off and reset the adjuster by flicking up the wedge in the drum with a screwdriver and put your foot on the brake they'll click as they adjust up and your handbrake will be fine... For the first couple of goes - I has the same issue

As for a spot of weld, not a clue... I've since upgraded.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I don't really like handbrakes that work on rear drums, so what can go wrong:- the lever on the shoe can stiffen up or even seize + the adjuster wedge has grooves and they can flatten a bit + the small pads behind the shoes can wear or get heavily marked + + , so while there is scope to get things working again for a while, eventually you will find that replacing the shoes and their springs and link bar + wedge + the small pads - and maybe even the hydraulic cylinders, place online parts places can supply a complete kit of bits for not too much money.

After that there might be a issue with age/wear on the cables.
Adam_013
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 Polo Beats 1.0 95PS

Post by Adam_013 »

Yes ^.

I fitted new shoes, pads, cylinders and springs and it made no difference... Had cables to fit, but never got round to to it... Just a bad design which is useless

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk